GM Truck Club Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
I still have my 1984 camaro and I had to put 2 90LB sand bags in the back rear in a low spot in the vehicle.. wet roads the rear tires slide .. the camaro has a 305 cu engine and most of the weight is in the front. rear has little weight ..

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,474 Posts
Closest I came to breaking the sound barrier was in a late-2000s Audi coupe. A buddy bought it with his signing bonus to the Navy (poor farm kid getting his first "real world" car) and let me drive it home one night. That thing would FLY with no sound whatsoever. Just look down and you're going 140 on a winding backroad and don't know how you got there. Glad he moved away that week. I'd have killed us if he'd stuck around with the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
THANK YOU 🙏🏼. I’ve been reading these comments thinking WTF. The whole TRUCK state of Texas is 85 MPH speed limit wiith trucks cruising at 95 no problem. I’ll drive whatever speed I want when I want and I’m the one that will make it home, die, or go to jail or the hospital and that’s my freedom of choice.

Or kill other drivers

·
Registered
1 Posts
yawn
Another "new" member with their panties in a wad because they don't understand consequences, momentum, variables, aerodynamics, design standards, highway design, safe braking distances, minimum sight distances, etc... Or looking to stir the pot. I'm bored. I'll bite.

This is a thread for pickup trucks on public roads, typically in North America. If you bought speed rated tires for a truck you aren't putting on a track, you did it because you wanted to and make poor financial decisions. (Road laws haven't changed much in the States over the years. You knew what you were doing.) Or maybe you have disposable income. Either way, your choice. I don't particularly care.

Though you feel you pose "zero threat" to that family, you pose a significantly higher threat than everyone else on the road because of your accelerated speeds. The Autobahn has different rules for driving than the roads here. Tractor trailers are prohibited, minimum speeds are higher, etc. They also have different vehicle standards because of this. American roads are not designed the same. They are not apples to apples.

By exceeding the speed limit, you introduce a variable into the driving flow not easily accounted for by other drivers. A quick glance into the rear view to make a lane change is insufficient when someone comes screaming up behind you. However, if this screaming speed isn't the norm, the quick glance is what happens, resulting in a horrific rear end collision. You may be a super star on a track, but EVERYONE on the track is going the same general speed. In this case, you are a threat to the poor family because of your actions.

Roadways are designed with minimum safe stopping distance in mind. These distances are associated with the design (posted) speed of the roadway, not the speed of the goobers on it. You become a hazard to other drivers when exceeding the speed limit, thereby being unable to stop in the available clear site (edit: sight) distances built into the highway. Hills, bridges, turns, structures, signs, etc. are all considered in these calculations.

The only thing you have actually mentioned which gives you "credible" speed capabilities in whatever vehicle is your tires...I bet you have stock brakes. They're going to fail in an emergency stopping situation at these high speeds due to heat. You probably have not updated the steering. This is going to introduce float and slop, thereby decreasing your ability to safely navigate at high speeds.

Look, I get the need for speed. But in controlled environments with the proper criteria. On the road is not the right place.

Stay safe.
This was a elegant and well written explanation of how most speed racers on public highways ..JUST DONT GET IT..!!
I just hope that its not a family we care about when these clowns decide to go 100+ in a truck built to be a truck.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
In Texas many drive on hywy speeds over 100MPH .. some will change the PCM software to remove the speed control.
In a high traffic area in my region, many drive to 70-80 MPH ..
In new england when the snow drops or rain the drivers drop to the 40-60 MPH..
my 2000 silverado not good around 100 MPH .. 80MPH runs good ..

·
Registered
98 gmc k1500 5.7
563 Posts
"thinking that they are cool cause they can drive 100 mph. Sorry for the rant but guys that want to drive fast on public roads piss me off. If you want to drive fast go find a track" why did go get tires are rated 420 + mph so when I'm cruising 115-120 I'm posing zeroThreat that said family. I'm not stupid and going to drive recklessly through heavy traffic . Also very much enjoy going out to Europe and driving over a hundred fifty on the Audubon
[/QUOTE]
been on the autobahn, you wont drive there like people do here,you stay in right lane, or get ran over. when they have a wreck , its usually 15 to 20 cars involved and about a dozen dead bodies.
and to you drivers that say its your right to do what you want , yes it is , but your rights stop when you mess with my right to drive safely

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I almost killed a dodge demon once. he was not there when I did my shoulder check and then when I changed lanes there was a demon slamming on the brakes. I was driving a 2009 fully suped up 6.7 cummings. the fuker shot me the finger while trying to pass and so I gave him a run for his money. but I'm not an idiot and didnt actually have my foot to the floor. I did however change the tuner from tow to street! he got even more pissed. he never used turn signals and had no regard for anyone while weaving in and out of a 3 lane highway. this was on one of the worst highways in Canada for deaths... between windsor and tilbury Ontario. people die here almost every day because of stupidity and driving well over the speed limit.

Al

21 - 33 of 33 Posts