GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These always seem to be a bugger. I have to replace my passenger side mirror and the driver outside door handle and have been putting them off because I hate to do door panels.

I was even going to try and do the mirror with out the panel off since on '95 the top corner of the door panel comes off seperately but I dropped my 10mm socket in the door.

My ? is where are the plastic plugs, how many, whats the best way to get them out and is there anything else I have to watch for besides the wiring for the power windows and the courtesy light?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Argh, I hate dropping tools into places that you have to open her up to find them.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with door panels on something that new.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Door Panels!.

Its not that hard of a Job just dont beat the crap out of thr door getting it off.lol. Where are you located?

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
They are not that bad.

I have posted how to remove them before, not that specific year but they are all basically the same.

First remove all the screws you can see, then look for any with plugs over them.

The best tool for removing the door pad carrots, what we called the pad attaching pins, plugs, things. Is available at any parts store, usually under $10 and well worth the price. They call them trim removal tools.

Now take the tool and slip it between the door pad and the door panel itself, slide it back and forth until you find a carrot. Then slip the tool so that the carrot is in the slot of the tool and simply pry it out.

You will, even with the tool damage a carrot or 2 so save those and go back to the parts store and get more, they are readily available, but come in many different types.

Once you get all the carrots out you will need to push the door pad up, this part is easiest with the window down. Simply push up just like the window would go.

Install is reverse of all this, just make sure as you put the door pad on that the carrots line up in their holes before pushing them in.

I got to do a write up with pictures on this.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
PS

You may be able to retrieve the tool by just removing the lower carrots and pulling it away from the bottom of the door if that’s all you want.

·
Registered
561 Posts
i agree with the above get the trim removal tool there are a couple different ones all will work but the more $$ are thicker and seem to work alittle better. i too agree some of the keepers will get damaged and it is good to have some for spares. you might get the tool and walk out and pop 1-2 of the bottom carrots and then go get a box of 10-15 so you got them for the job....mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts