GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hearing Ed Wallace (Dallas 570 AM radio guy and he does car reviews for the local Fox station ... also does this week in Rock and Roll history...) talk about RXP for a couple of years now.

Anyone use it?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I bought a unit of RPX ($6.99) this morning and added it to my fuel tank. It's a small little bottle, not more than the size of a small salt shaker. We'll see what it does, it's been purported as a great way to clean carbon build-up in the fuel system, we'll see if I notice anything.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Sounds like it's the same as seafoam. Never heard of it before this thread. I could have sworn I already responded to this thread too.

"Old-timer's disease" must be setting in.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, RXP (www.rxp.com) is supposedly different. Ed Wallace is a local guy on the radio here in DFW that doesn't really promote all this kind of stuff, he's more of a straight-shooter who likes to get fact straight, etc. So becuase he's doing it just talking about it I figured I would try it.

Talk is talk as far as I'm concerned, I'd like to see some mechanical break downs before-after to see the carbon removed, etc. I'll try it and see if I notice any differences.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How's the cost of this stuff? Is it reasonable, or ridiculous?
$6.99 for a bottle about 4 oz probably. They kept it behind the counter at the O'Reilly's auto parts that I went into this morning. I had to ask for it. The guy running the place said it was a high theft-item so they had to do that. He said he tried other fuel-injector cleaners and they didn't seem to change how the engine performed (including the O'Reilly's store brand of fuel injector cleaner that I was lookin at), but one bottle of RXP made a noticable difference for his truck.

We'll see. I'm naturally skeptical.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Kind of steep (IMO) but if it works that well, it may be worth it.
What's the mix ratio? (4oz:10gal) Or just one bottle does it regardless of fuel level?

Oh, never mind I found it.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a 2.5 oz bottle and it treats 10 gallons of gasoline.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I tried it on my 1997 sonoma and didn't really notice anything. I used the Lucas fuel treatment and noticed a difference on my 1991. Also put it in my lawnmower and weedeater both seemed to like it.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried it on my 1997 sonoma and didn't really notice anything. I used the Lucas fuel treatment and noticed a difference on my 1991. Also put it in my lawnmower and weedeater both seemed to like it.
What's the Lucas fuel treatment?

I understand the concept of carbon build-in in the fuel system. It's a by-product of combustion over time. The backs of the valves can get coated with this stuff. Other than tearing down the engine and giving them a once over with a wire brush, I'd love to find a product that will help clean that up. That's where serious companies (and also shucksters) need to make these products.

There isn't any reason to put this stuff in the fuel supply all the time, becuase a new vehicle doesn't need a fuel treatment... but a 1999 Cavalier with 71k does.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My $0.02 Worth on Additives

When we brought home the '07 Nox, I sat down with the Owner's Manual. The required gasoline was to be regular octane (87) "Top Tier" grade. For years we have bought all of our gasoline at the corner Exxon/Mobil station in the neighborhood. I just assumed that the great and mighty EXXON/MOBIL would be "Top Tier." WRONG! Basically Top Tier means that detergent additives are in all octane ratings, not just the expensive premium. It is true that gasoline as it comes out of the reactor at the refinery is just that---gasoline. However, when it is delivered into the fuel truck, each individual marketer's brand has the specific additives added at that point. Thereby making Chevron/Texaco, Shell, Ex/Mo and others their own unique blend. I will not go into all the details here, if you want to know more just GOOGLE "Top Tier Gasoline"

This did get me to remembering. At about 48K miles, my '99 Saturn had to have the throttle body replaced. It was all "coked" up. I was using the mechanic at the EX/MO that I loyaly patronized for years. I complained that I had never bought gasoline anywhere but there. His response was go to Wal-Mart and buy a pint of Techron every oil change. At that time I just did not do it. Fast forward a couple of years to the purchase of the Nox. This is when it dawned on me as to why Saturn got so gummed up. Remembering to buy and pour in additive at every 3K miles did not appeal to me. So, no more EX/MO for now. Chev/Tex did have the jump on the marketing, but several others are rated as Top Tier.

Now to the point. After about 4-5 tankfuls of Chevron in the Saturn, I can tell a slight difference in the way it runs. Chev/Tex is not the only one, there are others. I think it is Lubrizol that makes about 80% of all the additives. I conclude that modern day engines have for the last decade needed a fuel with detergent additives of some type. I will try to find a couple of bottles of the RXP and run a few treated tankfuls in the "guinea pig." (Saturn)

Respectfully,
BINGO53 :great:

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd have to say that after one treatment of RXP I haven't noticed all that great of a performance boost, I guess for me it will be MPG improvements. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Ok, I burned off the RXP and recalculated my mileage. 24.6 MPG! WTH!?!?

I'll run another tank through it, maybe there is something with breaking the carbon up that gives you worse efficiency for a short while??

I will say this though. My engine is running better, it starts easier and I do notice a bit more pickup after I have completed the first round of treatment.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like I'm on target to get a bit higher MPG this tank. We'll see, but should be 27+ MPG if things continue the way they're going. I may get a new air filter to and see if that helps any, but only after the next tank of gas.

·
Registered
83 Posts
There are all sorts of products that alledgably clean up carbon from valves and combustion chambers. I have used a few producs and noticed no difference. I will still use some every so ofren to make sure I have clean valves.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts