GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

My names Luke and I'm new to the forum. I have a 1999 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab truck that I currently use as my daily driver. I am enrolled at Rhodes State College in Lima, Ohio and will be starting my Capstone project in the fall. One of my ideas was to be able to start my truck remotely through text message. I would use an Arduino module coupled with a SIM900 GSM module. After receiving the signal the from the GSM device, the Arduino would turn on a set of relays that would turn on my ignition and my starter for a set amount of time. I should be able to figure out the programming side of things for this project but I am unsure on the wiring side. My question for this forum is what would be the easiest way to "splice" into the ignition. In other words, what wires would I have to cut and "hot wire" in order to turn on the ignition/computer and turn on the starter for a second or so. When I was messing around today I was able to jump the starter by simply hooking a wire from the +12v side of the battery to the 10A starter fuse in the cab of the truck. When I turned the key to the on position and jumped the fuse the truck would stay running for a split second before shutting off. I don't think its the security on the truck that is causing it to stall, because I had a key cut for it a couple weeks ago and the guy didn't do any programming or anything like that for it to work. I was hoping once I figured out how the ignition works I could cut and splice in connectors that would allow the ignition to function as it originally did, but also allow my Arduino module to run my truck as well.

My understanding of my truck's ignition is that it just takes a common 12v and distributes it depending on what position the key is in. I know that some of the newer truck rely on Pass Lock and programmable keys but I don't think my truck falls into this category( correct me if I'm wrong).

Thank-you for reading my post and I appreciate any feedback or advice.
Luke

·
Registered
2004 Silverado 1500 4WD Crew cab 5.3L
18 Posts
Hello!

My names Luke and I'm new to the forum. I have a 1999 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab truck that I currently use as my daily driver. I am enrolled at Rhodes State College in Lima, Ohio and will be starting my Capstone project in the fall. One of my ideas was to be able to start my truck remotely through text message. I would use an Arduino module coupled with a SIM900 GSM module. After receiving the signal the from the GSM device, the Arduino would turn on a set of relays that would turn on my ignition and my starter for a set amount of time. I should be able to figure out the programming side of things for this project but I am unsure on the wiring side. My question for this forum is what would be the easiest way to "splice" into the ignition. In other words, what wires would I have to cut and "hot wire" in order to turn on the ignition/computer and turn on the starter for a second or so. When I was messing around today I was able to jump the starter by simply hooking a wire from the +12v side of the battery to the 10A starter fuse in the cab of the truck. When I turned the key to the on position and jumped the fuse the truck would stay running for a split second before shutting off. I don't think its the security on the truck that is causing it to stall, because I had a key cut for it a couple weeks ago and the guy didn't do any programming or anything like that for it to work. I was hoping once I figured out how the ignition works I could cut and splice in connectors that would allow the ignition to function as it originally did, but also allow my Arduino module to run my truck as well.

My understanding of my truck's ignition is that it just takes a common 12v and distributes it depending on what position the key is in. I know that some of the newer truck rely on Pass Lock and programmable keys but I don't think my truck falls into this category( correct me if I'm wrong).

Thank-you for reading my post and I appreciate any feedback or advice.
Luke
Don't know what engine you have, but this might get you started

·
Registered
98 gmc k1500 5.7
480 Posts
i have a question , are you wanting to try something new and unique , or do you just want a remote starting system, most new remote starter systems are tied to phone app if that's your goal ,

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I was thinking and this isn't helpful at all but my kids are home schooled and they are not allowed to cheat like this. they cant google an awnser without providing sources. haha. so anyways the schematics on these trucks are readily available on the net and that will or can help you understand exactly what needs to he done. I'm not sure about the 2002 but I have taken apart an ignition switch from a 1997. it is a mechanical rocker switch inside with like 6 contacts but there are at least a dozen wires running in and out.

so you would need to tap into all of these wires to make it work right. but keyless remote starting is already a thing right... so you could modify that system.

then when your done.... come back and tell us how to do it. that's what I expect my kids to do. my 11 year boy old can diagnose and fix an internal combustion engine as well as diagnose and repair smart phones and tablets. I cant but he explains to me how it's done.

im looking forward to your report. haha.

Al

·
Registered
15,462 Posts
I saw this thread this morning; but haven't had time to respond.
Like Jacob, I'm questioning what your trying to do.
If this is a school project, shouldn't it be something new? Remote starter kits have been around for years, why would you want to build one from scratch and why would you use old school relays?
If your goal is to use text messages to start the truck, that may be a project that is new; but GM has had an app that will do that for years.

Anyway, we are trying to help, give us more details and we'll see what we can do

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have a question , are you wanting to try something new and unique , or do you just want a remote starting system, most new remote starter systems are tied to phone app if that's your goal ,
Good evening, my goal is to be able to create a remote starter from scratch using several Arduino components. I know its probably a whole lot easier to just buy a ready to go system but....... that defeats the whole purpose of my capstone project lol.
Thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking and this isn't helpful at all but my kids are home schooled and they are not allowed to cheat like this. they cant google an awnser without providing sources. haha. so anyways the schematics on these trucks are readily available on the net and that will or can help you understand exactly what needs to he done. I'm not sure about the 2002 but I have taken apart an ignition switch from a 1997. it is a mechanical rocker switch inside with like 6 contacts but there are at least a dozen wires running in and out.

so you would need to tap into all of these wires to make it work right. but keyless remote starting is already a thing right... so you could modify that system.

then when your done.... come back and tell us how to do it. that's what I expect my kids to do. my 11 year boy old can diagnose and fix an internal combustion engine as well as diagnose and repair smart phones and tablets. I cant but he explains to me how it's done.

im looking forward to your report. haha.

Al
I am hoping that my truck is like your 1997. By using a relay board I could bypass the trucks ignition and basically "hotwire" the needed wires. I would like to use an Arduino because of the capability it has and the low cost associated with it. Part of this project is documentation and I will create a document laying out my steps and pictures of the process. I will be sure to upload my presentation into this forum post once it is done ;)

you for your feedback!
Thank-
I saw this thread this morning; but haven't had time to respond.
Like Jacob, I'm questioning what your trying to do.
If this is a school project, shouldn't it be something new? Remote starter kits have been around for years, why would you want to build one from scratch and why would you use old school relays?
If your goal is to use text messages to start the truck, that may be a project that is new; but GM has had an app that will do that for years.

Anyway, we are trying to help, give us more details and we'll see what we can do
The relays I will be using our based off of an Arduino module. They would simply make connections that the ignition does when the key is turned. That is the simplest way I know of creating a system like this without buying a kit made for my truck. Using relays would also allow me to add more functions later like turning on/off lights, horn, or any accessories I might add.
Another reason I want to use the Arduino is I have experience programming in Arduino and C++

Thank-you for taking the time to respond to my post!

My goal is to create something new and unique, in my capstone I have to wire/program my project to earn credit and just buying a prebuilt system would defeat that purpose.
Thanks for your time!!!

·
Registered
2004 Silverado 1500 4WD Crew cab 5.3L
18 Posts
I am hoping that my truck is like your 1997. By using a relay board I could bypass the trucks ignition and basically "hotwire" the needed wires. I would like to use an Arduino because of the capability it has and the low cost associated with it. Part of this project is documentation and I will create a document laying out my steps and pictures of the process. I will be sure to upload my presentation into this forum post once it is done ;)

you for your feedback!
The relays I will be using our based off of an Arduino module. They would simply make connections that the ignition does when the key is turned. That is the simplest way I know of creating a system like this without buying a kit made for my truck. Using relays would also allow me to add more functions later like turning on/off lights, horn, or any accessories I might add.
Another reason I want to use the Arduino is I have experience programming in Arduino and C++

Thank-you for taking the time to respond to my post!

My goal is to create something new and unique, in my capstone I have to wire/program my project to earn credit and just buying a prebuilt system would defeat that purpose.
Thanks for your time!!!
I understand your goal I believe. Even though there are ready made systems with apps ready to go, your goal is to start from scratch, design and build it yourself as if there were nothing like this available, is this correct? I got an associates in applied electronics waaaay back in 1990 so some things have changed like the size of components, and anything to do with a phone but Electron theory hasn't changed. So Like was mentioned in previous posts there are schematics available on the web. Do some searching since you know what vehicle you have, find the correct schematic, (it's out there), do some wire chasing and discover it. Part of troubleshooting electrical is finding out what doesn't work, it's SHOCKING, then learn from there. As much as I like to help someone out, I think this journey will serve you better for your future if you first discover what doesn't work then come back for ASSISTANCE. Sorry if this is harsh, but you learn better by failing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts