GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AndyD just posed an interesting point in a PM.

How many people here are gearheads, vs. normal people looking for general information?

·
Registered
38 Posts
If I had the time I would love to be a gearhead. For now I do the fun stuff. But let's face it it's not always fun. Sometimes it's just better to have a qualified shop do it right. I must admit there have been times I do it twice. Once wrong screwed it up so bad it gets towed to the shop for a proper repair. Snaped some bolts on the exhaust manifold. I was not about to pull the heads.
A man must know his limits.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I am a definite gearhead, although I prefer to use transmission fluid for the chicken (it gives it a sweeter taste). It kills me to see what the shops charge for repairs when I know what is involved to do the job.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
A honest days pay for a honest days work.

GaryL said:
I am a definite gearhead, although I prefer to use transmission fluid for the chicken (it gives it a sweeter taste). It kills me to see what the shops charge for repairs when I know what is involved to do the job.
If I'm not willing to do the work, then I'll gladly pay the hourly rate for honest work. After 8 years in this town I have finally found a shop that I can trust. I usually like to know what is wrong with my car before I take it to the shop, and can generally tell when a shop is selling me a line of bull. My mechanic passes dealer parts through at cost, and charges $55/hr. He takes an fair markup on NAPA parts and will tell you what is the proper way to fix something and the 'getchaby' fix that will hold you til the next payday. If you pass on recommended repairs he always warns you with "This is a handgrenade and the pin has been pulled."

Am I a gearhead? I don't know. I've rebuilt engines, swapped transmissions, and dropped a 289 into an Austin Healey (poor mans cobra) but I think that only qualifies me as having just enough info to be dangerous.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RE: A honest days pay for a honest days work.

We made a section for shop and dealer reviews in the forum, feel free to post a review about them.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
RE: A honest days pay for a honest days work.

I'd say I'm a gearhead despite not always having the time to be one. I agree with GaryL, I won't send my vehicle in for repairs unless I either don't have the time, or the means to fix it myself. The last, and only thing I sent my 'burban in for repairs was to rebuild my 4L80E. I just wasn't equipped to handle a tranny that weighed that much. Otherwise I would have definately done the rebuild myself. I wish I had, since the rebuild cost a little over $1600.00 Could have bought the tranny jack, and master rebuild kit for a little over half that cost. I've done a couple transmission rebuilds since that time, if it ever comes down to it, I'm rebuilding my transmission myself.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I feel good just getting my oil & air fliter changed on my own. Guess I'm not a gearhead, but a wannabe.?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm a gear head. Live breath and dream cars. My career is based on automotive. I've installed turbo kits, fuel systems, suspension etc. etc.. Just have not really delt with air bag suspension. Which is what i'm learning about now.

·
1,532 Posts
I think of myself as a do-it-yourself'er. I don't think I'm quite "into" auto repair to call myself a gear head. I do a lot of my own work, but I will pay someone to do work for me. Basically I figure I'm "paying" to get the work done either way. I'm either paying cash to someone else to do it for me or I'm "spending" my time (which is also valuable) to do the job myself. Frustration is also worth something. curtolson mentioned snapping bolts on an exhaust manifold. Sometimes it's fun to "overcome" obstacles, and sometimes I'd rather have someone else do it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Gearhead. Whether it's a 4, 6, 8 or rotary I love breaking out the tools.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
garretthes said:
Gearhead. Whether it's a 4, 6, 8 or rotary I love breaking out the tools.
I think I'd like to see a rotary engine in a suburban...or any other current GM product. I don't know that I'd want to work on it, but I'd like to see it.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Been a Gearhead All my life. Still stir my coffee with a screwdriver, although now I tend to use a screw gun with a spade drill bit.

Worked for General Motors from 1973 until 1991 at the Framingham, MA assembly plant as everthing from just a line grunt to repair.

When they closed my plant down for good I went to TN to work for Saturn, 5 years later moved back to Maine for my daughter health.

Been working construction as a Welder/Ironworker/Fabricator ever since to pay the bills.

But to this day the only time I send a vehicle out is to do something I am no longer capable of. STML because of Stroke and 6 bad disks in my back but I still do as much as I can. And try to help who ever is doing the work I can’t when I have to send it to friends shops.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Gearhead, well i try anyway, but with no garage of my own sometimes it gets tough to fix things on the street with cars zooming next to your feet. Sometimes i have to bring it to the shop due to lack of tools.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts