GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi new here

Looking at astro van for expanding family

Any recommendations on good years and engine size / transmission?

Driving woukd be mainly local 10k miles a year with one or two long hauls
Thanks

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
The Astro vans, all have a 4.3L V-6 engine. This engine is a 350 with 2 less cylinders, more or less. It is a grate engine. I had a 93 WT with the same engine in it. I sold it to a coworker several years ago. It had 275,000 miles when I sold it. The transmission went out ( no overdrive). We l no longer work together, and I had not heard from Him in several years. He sent me a txt on fathers day, so I called Him. I asked about the truck. He said He sold it, but sees it around town. It has well over 400,000 miles on it now. To rebuild that trans ( a 4L60e ) is less than $2000. The truck I drive now is a 97 with a 350 (5.7L) in it. It has 250,000 miles, and it also has a 4L60e trans. It is the original engine and trans in that truck as well. I think 1993 was the first year for the 4L60e trans. Before that, well the first astro vans had a 700R4 trans. Then there was a 4L60 (no- e) these are all good transmissions. The Astro vans are a very good mini van platform.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I'm looking for an All Wheel drive model. Ones that are in Canada and were taking care of properly fetch a high price. A buddy of mine had one in high school and it was a great van. I would want an old one, mid to late 90's. I dont actually know a lot about these Van's except it never let my buddy down and drove through snow like it wasnt even there. His family still has it all these years later, think about that.... it survived being full of teens constantly as he had 2 younger brothers that both drove it full of all their friends. That van has been on so many road trips and to so many concerts. LOL. ya these are very good Van's, I believe his was a 96 but I can't remember.

Al

Reactions: kennythewelder

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I had a '98 that went through a conversion company. That was a nice ride. Selling that van is about the only thing I'm still mad at my ex for! I got it cheap and had to rebuild the engine. If I were to do it over again, I would drop a 350 into it, there is all kinds of room for one. It's the only mini-van built on a truck chassis so it gets some man points right there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts