GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been awhile since I last posted so how ya'll doing !

My 02 1500 OEM cd player is just starting to act up (only 38K mi. on it) and have been shopping audio gear. I'm not a "seasoned" installer but I have installed multi amp speaker, sub etc. in past vehicles. However, I recently exploded two discs in my back and am on the mend but am limited in movement right now.

Here's my question, has any one had any luck with decent audio quality with and aftermarket head unit and changing the speakers to name brand without using a 4 channel amp to power the front and rear speakers.

Here's a list of what I'm considering:
Kenwood KDC-X995 head unit (rated 22rms) I've read in reality you get 15rms at best.
Polk DXI-650 front door speakers
Polk DXI-460 rear door speakers or equivalent Alpine speakers
Possibly an MTX powered rear under seat sub.

The reason I'm steering away from the 4 ch. amp for the front and rear is because of my back issue right now. I can install the head unit and speakers but bending and twisting around running the wiring won't do me any good. Or, if any one has a suggestion of installers that do a good job without butchering the existing wiring, I'm all ears. I had an alarm installed once at a so-called stereo alarm shop once and couldn't believe how they tapped into the door harness. They split it open with a knife and ran the wires then tapped it up instead of fishing the wire correctly.

I have an Infinity Bass link in my Dodge Ramcharger and it works well for me but it won't fit under the seat of the Silverado. Maybe there's other powered subs in the 8-10" range that could fit that I'm not finding on line.

I'm located in the So Bay of Ca. Hawthorne, Torrance beach city area. So if you know of an installer in this geographical location or can point me in the right direction on the sub question, I'd appreciate any feed back.... no pun intended.:glasses:

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I ran stock door speakers off the headunit power for a few months until I upgraded the speakers and bought an amp and it sounded fine. I am not sure what those polk speakers are rated for but I imagine running them off the headunit would be fine until you decide to get an amp.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
As said above... Your factory speakers will sound better with the little more power that the aftermarket radio has over the stock radio also the crossover is better..When you get better go for some good speakers and a nice 4 or 5 Ch amp.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I am planning to replace the HU and the door speakers at the same time. I was just curious if any one has had decent sound quality without installing a 4 ch amp at the same time. I have always installed an amp and sub at the get go so I do not have an evaluation comparison.

Maybe I'll go poke my nose into some local installation shops... ecch.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
You can do both But just remember most aftermarket speakers do want a Min of about 30 Watts RMS to sound 1/2 way good. If you do this Please do NOT turn up the volume till you have the power to do so. All you will get is distoration and you may blow the speakers sooner. As said above the factory speakers will sound better with the new head unit. They could even sound better then aftermarket till you get the amp.
Understand?:neutral:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, I get it. A friend at work said to be cautious about that also. I have my components picked out and I'll see what installation charges will be from some local shops and check they're pricing. If they can match on line prices, which they should in this economy, I'll pull the trigger. I hate paying for something I've always done in the past but sometimes you got to suck it up.

Thanks to those that responded.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts