GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so im new to the forum and was just wondering if there was anyone out there that has done a auto to 5 speed swap in they're gmc 1500? the main question i have is that do i need to change the computer? im a ford lover and this is my first chevy. in some fords you dont have to change the computer when you change the tranny. some you do.the truck is a 350 suto and i believe its the 700r? lol. i dont know. not a chevy guy tring to figure it out. any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't believe (but I could be wrong) the 700r4 was computer controlled, 4l60E on the other hand is. Do you have a donor truck to get the parts out of?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks fur the info scott. not that i dont believe you but i does anyo e else have any info or opinions that they could offer? anyone ever done this that could help me with some info on where to get started? any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
324 Posts
i know they mounted up 5 speed to the 4.3 v-6 engine. im pretty sure the 4.3 has the same mounting for a tranny as a 350. if so go find an s-10 or full sized 2 wheel drive 1500 and pull every thing out that you can find or even think is needed. you might also want the eec. getting into the tuning section i dont want to brain fart you but the manual and auto has different tunes for the engine for it to behave properly for both. if you can score the manual eec then you might be able to escape a retune. do not use the stock stlye clutch, they suck. get a centerforce duel friction or spec stage2. make sure to install a NEW slave before you install the manual. even if it looks new or ok still get a NEW not rebuilt slave. a key note here make sure to get the wiring harness for the manual. the auto and manual uses different harness's. the shifters are usually worn out so plan on getting a new shifter. if you cant get a drive shaft you will need a fab shop to mod 1 for you. make sure to change the front and aft (input/output) seals. they are cheap and easy when to tranny is out. not sure what chevy uses for fluid in a manual but my m5r2 5 speed uses merc5. well worth the money. there are alot of little step to watch and tiny jobs to do but dont get overwhelmed. its really not a hard thing to do. it does however take time. go slow and double check everything then have a friend or what ever look over it to before you start the engine.

oh ya, dont forget to snag the flywheel. i have done a few ford conversions so im sure i could answer most of your questions. if you have any please feel free to pm me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts