GM Truck Club Forum banner

Aux Battery

4K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Crawdaddy 
#1 ·
First let me say hello. Lots of great info here. I now know that my 98 is not evil it's justa burb.

Anyways,want to add an aux battery to the truck. It has an extra tray and the current battery appears to be hooked up to some kind of power box supply over the left fender. Can I just run a new+ lead from that box to an additional battery. If so where do I ground the new battery. Thanks for any info.

#4 ·
You can either run the batteries together in parallel (pos to pos; neg to neg) Or splice off, and run a second pos line to the second battery, then ground the new battery to any chassis location.
yepper spot on, positive to positive would give you 12vdc with double the load capacity. Plus altenator will float charge both batts. May we ask why you need this?

#5 ·
I like to run the second battery as a backup that is disconnected from the primary battery except when the engine is running. That way when I'm on location playing the stereo, or running other accessories, the backup battery is ready to crank 'er up even when the primary battery is dead.
Here is a diagram from http://www.hellroaring.com/simple.php

Reactions: Cableguy
#7 ·
I would follow the diagram. I looked into it myself and found that it is best to have a cut off switch. That way if something drains one battery you just switch to the other one and your on your way. Especially since its not to dificult and fairly inexpensive. I was going to go with my current Red Top Optima and add an aditional Deep Cell Yellow top to help with the winch I am trying to convince my wife to let me buy!:biggrin: :biggrin:

#10 ·
Is it not bad to have the batterys in straigh parallel? I hear that it's either rough on the alt or on battery is constantly charging the other. I dunno, something like that... I'm looking in to this too, but I don't want to kill the alt. or have 2 fried batterys.

WIth 2 batterys, you would have a hard time running them down unless you were running a pretty big load without the engine running. Besides, the 'Burb comes with 2 batterery tray stock, with that second tray empty, it looks like something is missing. :)

Cheers!

#11 · (Edited)
In the past I have seen kits that add a little mini computer into the mix with aux batteries to manage them. So that, when the aux batteries are low, it connects them to the rest of the system, then isolates them. It was pretty neat, since I'd probably use them quite frequently in an engine-off situation and I'm very much paranoid about killing my "starting battery", then being stuck.

EDIT: Personally, I'm looking at getting one of these control systems, like this one http://www.acecom.com.au/dualmate.htm . That provides the exact functionality I'm looking for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.