GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if there's another thread about this topic, but I couldn't find anything using the search tool.

I have a 2007 Tahoe LTZ with the Bose sound system and no navigation. Overall, I'm happy with the system, with one exception...

Whenever I use the Aux Input on the front of the CD player I can hear a high-pitched whistling noise through the speakers. It only happens when using that specific input. No other modes make the noise.

I tried different MP3 players and different cables, but the problem remained, so I asked the local dealership to take a look at it while they were doing some other work on the vehicle.

At first, they tried to tell me that it was my cable, and I needed to use the official GM cable, but I was able to prove to them that the cable had nothing to do with it.

The next thing they tried to tell me was that I needed to purchase a "ground loop isolator" from Radio Shack to eliminate the noise. They even printed out a Technical Service Bulletin from Chevy that described the problem, and had specific Radio Shack part numbers that I needed to purchase.

I went to Radio Shack and found the parts. They allowed me to test the parts before buying them, and (of course) the sound did not go away.

So, I called the dealer and told them that I wanted them to replace my radio unit. He said that he didn't have a problem with it, but he doubted my extended warranty would cover the issue.

I called my warranty company and explained the issue to them. They told me that it was unclear as to whether or not they would cover it. My warranty covers all audio/video components for "mechanical failure", and they couldn't say with any certainty if this issue would be considered mechanical or not.

So, my fear is that Chevy won't be able to fix it, and my warranty won't cover it.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a solution?

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
If you could get to the back of the radio and see if you can add a ground wire from the radio to the body somewhere close..

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I am having the same issue in my wife's 07 saturn vue. How does adding another ground help?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

The next thing they tried to tell me was that I needed to purchase a "ground loop isolator" from Radio Shack to eliminate the noise. They even printed out a Technical Service Bulletin from Chevy that described the problem, and had specific Radio Shack part numbers that I needed to purchase.
That tells me that they have an issue with the components inside the head unit. Some curcuit board etc... that is used for that AUX port is cheap and picking up noise. You can get noise from any device if its made cheap.

Does that particular service bulletin only apply to your year? Ask the dealer to try a head unit that is not affected by that service bulletin...if that solves the problem that proves a defect in your head unit.

If they want to charge you for that head ubit ask them if they willb esending you a survey...if they say yes, explain to them you will answer "NOT SATISFIED" to all the questions.

I bet you get a new radio at that point....

Those surveys equal thousands of dollars to dealerships if those surveys show satisfied customers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Enkeiavalanche - Not sure that a ground wire would help, because it only makes the noise on the Aux Input. All other functions seem to be OK.

@sstoner911 - That's exactly what I asked the dealer to do - try another head unit. They claim that they can't do it unless my warranty will cover the replacement, because they do not keep these radios in stock at the dealership. They have to order them from a local vendor. Further complicating matters, is the fact that these radios have anti-theft measures in place, so they can't just slap a new radio in there. They have to program the unit to work in my particular vehicle.

So, I'm taking it back in to the dealership tomorrow morning. They're going to try to convince my warranty company that it's a mechanical failure, so they can replace the head unit. I'm pretty sure that will fix it. The only question is whether or not my warranty company will cover it.

·
Registered
660 Posts
RyanLGM,

I see that you are planning to visit the dealership today. Please do not hesitate to keep me updated in regards to how it goes at the dealership via private message. Hope to hear from you soon. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

I am having the same issue in my wife's 07 saturn vue. How does adding another ground help?
I would like to also look into this further for you. In order to do so, I will need some more specific information from you. If you could please send me your full name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, and current mileage via private message, I will be able to take further steps. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it was a LONG road, but we were finally able to convince my warranty company to cover the cost of replacing the head unit, and that fixed the problem!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts