GM Truck Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I have to start this story all over again. (We had a mild administration malfuncton). Ok from the top now. I have a 1999 Savanna Van for work. It has 125000KM/78000Miles on a 4.3litre long block V6 H.O. I've always treated her good. i.e. regular oil changes, gear oil changes, tires, tranny fluid flush etc. Our policy at work is 10yrs/160000KM which ever comes first for replacing. So one day I take it in to dealer before I go on shift to fix various things (oil,lube,filter and other various repairs) I get it back they tell me they found some other things that needed to be repaired and had it authorized (Cool fine by me. I'm all about prevention) Cooler lines were leaking and various motor stuff was worked on. I think great awesome, sign off and I'm outta there. I drive about 100miles around town and BOOM the motor blows up! No rhyme or reason. I get towed back to dealer. They say "Isn't that a shame, let me price a motor for you!" I say WTF how does a motor just blow with no previous symptoms? No SES light, Nothing just BOOM! There were just like oh well these things happen. Well its a work van so I didn't lose my cool. There price comes in at about $6500. So needless to say our fleet management is having none of that. So I leave the van there for fleet management to wrangle with. I get back after a few days off and inquire as to the whereabouts of my van. Come to find out the van is at some lone shop in the middle of nowhere (Nice!) The guy calls me says van will be ready on such-a-such day. Well it was ready on the day he said and van was delivered to my office. I jump in it at office, fire it up...tink.tink.tink...knock.knock.knock WTF! So I call the guy and say is this a new motor or rebuilt cuz its tinking and making noise. He says yes its a new motor, let me come have a look. When he looks at it a day later. He says oh you need to take it to the guy that sold me the engine. So I did. At that point I put all of 400km on motor. I drop it off at rebuilders shop here in town. The rebuilder calls me back a few hours later and says I'm afraid this motor is now blown up too. WTF. Ya he says the guy who installed motor failed to change cooler lines again and take the break in oil out. All the contaminates from tank and lines came flooding back into motor, destroying my motor I sent him.
He pulls motor out and sure enough its destroyed(bearings, rods, crank). Complete tear down and rebuild again...
So now I have a perfect running truck again (Done by a true professional and a Gentleman) and fleet management is pissed about bill. But in the end there the ones that tried to save a buck sending it to "Bob's Garage" (Not real name) and as for the "Huge" "Established" Dealership in town (Shame on you) You wonder why Toyota is #1. Gee let me think about that for a minute...ahhhh duh! If it had of been my personal vehicle there would have been dead bodies everywhere. So you move to the next dealer and try again right.

This is not a closed post please feel free to comment and add suggestions for me to help me understand GM's Customer handling in local dealerships. Don't get me wrong I've always owned GM and always will, but man alive what do we do about these crazy rogue dealerships and there matter a fact attitude....:neutral:

Ok my fingers are sore now :eek:uch:

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
You got to remember those Stump jumpers up there don’t know what they are doing with something as advanced as a V6 HO. Just Kidding, now don’t you blow a gasket.

Sorry to hear that you old faithful is no longer faithful.

I got to ask why they didn’t put a GM Goodwrench motor in? Or was it?

I really can’t believe that they didn’t put the engine in right.

What kind of guys were these? Was this a GM dealer who did this or someone else?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealer was too expensive in our company's eyes. So I went to a regular repair shop, a rebuider shipped him a rebuilt engine. The rebuilder built a beautiful motor. The installer did not follow procedures that rebuilder had given him. This is what happens when you don't follow instructions. And shame on our company for trying to save a buck. Cuz the rebuilder himself doesn't charge much more than the lone shop charged.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
The dealer was too expensive in our company's eyes. So I went to a regular repair shop, a rebuider shipped him a rebuilt engine. The rebuilder built a beautiful motor. The installer did not follow procedures that rebuilder had given him. This is what happens when you don't follow instructions. And shame on our company for trying to save a buck. Cuz the rebuilder himself doesn't charge much more than the lone shop charged.
I got to agree with you on both counts.

Shame on your company, and the installer.

Do you think they will make that mistake again?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
5 days worth of work and he didn't get a dime apparently. He didn't submit his invoice fast enough...Damn thats qotta hurt.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Story pictures

Cooler lines not fastened in place.

Filthy intake not cleaned (Dirt can fall off back into engine, Duh!)

Electrical tape on plug wires cuz there cracked...Frayed and broken. Geez

PCV plugged solid, good gawd. That'll run tip top!

Original oil filter still on engine and drain plug never removed after break in period (20 mins @ 2500 RPM) Then drain oil, replace filter...Duh!

Picture in next post down

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

Do you see wrench marks on this drain plug....no, I thought not.

I maybe just a Cableguy but at least I'm not mentally retarded...:no:

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think its gonna be ok now Peter. Seems to drive nice. No more problems. So now I guess they want me to do more work lol

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No it seems to be running OK. Thanks. Just waiting for my replacement to come in.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know. I know. I have to drive it. How do you think I feel. :erf: Maybe theres hope!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.