GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a thread a few weeks ago about my truck stalling out at low rpms, maybe attributing it to a bad fuel pump/filter, or injector problem. After some tlc in those areas, problem ceased to exist. However, I have noticed that upon starting the truck, with no recognizable trends, it clicks over a few, as if the battery was dead, and then starts. I know its not the battery, its a brand new optima yellow top. The other day I got out of class, and my truck was completely dead. I asked for a jump from a friend and 25 minutes later it started, only after charging a little, and almost starting, to going completely dead, and then having to dig the cables into the top terminals (side terminal battery) and then it got a clean start like there was nothing wrong. The low power at low idles comes and goes still, so my question is, what the heck is going on? I checked all the connections to the battery and they seem fine.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Did you check the connections at the starter and fuse blocks?
There could be corrosion at those connections causing this issue.
Also check the all the fuses and relays, they've been known to get corrosion on the prongs from time to time.
Check all the grounds too, body, engine and frame.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Checking the grounds are a good start but it sounds like your starter bendix is either sticking or not engaging properly which would cause the ticking when you try to start it. my wife's suburban has similar issues where the bendix disengages way before the truck starts or doesn't fully engage at all and it just ticks some times too like that. if your grounds are coated in oil they may not be getting good enough connection to what they are bolted to. the issue with the dead battery might well be a switch like from the glove box light that you can't tell are on or not or it could well be that bendix in the starter that's causing all of your issues if it's hanging then it may also be pulling some current or holding the contact inside the starter open and drawing the battery down that way and you'd never know it i'd either rebuild your starter or replace it and see if that doesn't fix all your issues.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you have access to a volt meter disconnect the positive cable from the battery, connect the meter in series between the cable and battery, remove the bulb from the hood light if it has one, make sure key if out of ignition (you dont want anything on that should not be on when your truck is not in use) the volt meter should read near zero volts, if you don't have a meter a test light or even a 12 volt bulb can be used connected in series as described with the meter, if the lght glows you have some device in the truck that is causing the battery to drain, start by removing fuses to isolate the circuit that is drwing power.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.