GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone so yesterday after filling up my tank on my 07 Silverado 1500 Classic V6 to almost full I noticed gas leaking from under my truck pretty badly on the right side of the gas tank. Only happens when the truck is on.
I recently have replaced the gas lines that go to the engine. Since there was a leak there prior and it stopped leaking gas for about 3 months. For a couple weeks now my truck has smelled like gas when you walk around it and also noticed it felt like the truck was struggling to start everytime i get in it but there was no Check Engine light and were no leaks until now when I refilled the tank.
Ill attach a video of were it seems the leaking is coming from. It is leaking on the passenger side of the tank towards the front half of the gas tank. Any help/advice is appreciated, Thanks.
New video by Aaron Lieber

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,361 Posts
Just speculating, but maybe the vent hose going up to the filler nozzle is leaking? If it was the supply line, I would think you’d have been the recipient of a custom flame job.

I hope you cleaned the gas off so that it’s not a fire hazard?

Unfortunate that the tank is now full. You’ll have to lift the bed order to see what’s going on.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
First step in any troubleshooting flow should be.... check any previous work as that's probably where the problem lies. You may need to tighten a clamp, swap an o ring, clean some grime out of the fitting connection.... ect.... broken rubber hose... looped hoses will eventually crack on the outside loop, ya so dont loop rubber hoses, cut them to length. (my old 94 burb had a massive fuel leak... it was a rubber return line looped up and tucked away beside the tank where one couldn't see.... I replaced with a steel line from the back to the front and replaced them all just to be safe.)

I dropped my 97 Burbs 42 gallon tank, full, with a tranny jack. I timed myself last time.... 32 mins to replace a fuel pump. Tranny Jack's, although expensive and rarely used are worth there weight in gold when you do need them.

Al

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
830 Posts
Also check the gasket around the fuel pump if you messed with it at all. My Burb would GUSH fuel after a refuel because the gasket was not seated properly.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
the gas pipe line leaks with no codes. the venting lines will throw codes with a leak.
on old trucks they have a return line then that line will not throw a code with a leak.
possible the gas line connector may leak and get rusted up ...another thing is the fuel pump pipe can rust up and leak .. some that did the fuel pump replacing the gasket on the tank could leak but that gasket will throw code ..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts