GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 1998 silverado ext 5.7 for $1000 the guy i bought it from thought the electrical system was bad but all it that was wrong with it was a bad positive cable.. anyways ive had it for bout a month to quit putting so many miles on my good truck goin to work and back a 2009 crew cab silverado 1500. the problem is when i floor the gas there is a really loud and bad vibration sounds like its in the rear i put new wheels, tires, and change the brakes all the way around(rotors, calibers, pads, drums,and shoes) dont know if its the u-joints or something in the rear end its just to get to work and back but i like my trucks in perfect working order cuz you never know when you have to show up some punk in his "tuned" civic lol

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Welcome to the club...hopefully some one will be along shortly to help you out!

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Welcome to the club Rich. I don't know why this would only occour in low unless it's a problem with low gear itself in the tranny. Have you tried hitting it hard in 2nd or 3rd? If it was U joints or rear gears it seems like it should do it in all gears & at higher speeds as well as low.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Welcome to the club. Do they look like original U-joints? If so I'd start there. Also check the center bearing.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I also think the same as stephan. This sounds like a tranny issue if it only does it in first. It could be ujoints though since off the line you are putting a lot of stress on them.

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
Welcome to the G M T C !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
changed the u-joints today still doin it but notice no matter what gear or how fast im goin if i keep the pedal pressed down in the same position bout a 1/4 down the truck sounds like it wont grab the gear it will rev up for a second or 2 then go back down and grab so i think it is the tranny first gonna get the fluid change the filter and pan dropped hopefully i dont have to get it rebuilt ive worked on everything else on a truck or car besides a tranny and/or rear end never had too. oh and yes stephan ive down it in all gears there is no vibration or noise

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
**thread moved here****

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well got it fixed well not yet but took it to tranny shop and there was shaving all in the bottom of the pan first gear was almost gone after we took it apart and clutch was burning up but will have back by next week getting a couple upgrades with it comes out to 1800 labor and parts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Wow I'm sorry to hear that! At least now you know your tranny will be good to go!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts