GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're expecting some cold temps and rain/ice mix, so there go my Saturday chores, including the final stage of my fence project. :evil:

Well, it will be a good weeekend to stay in the house and get some family time and try get some stuff done around the house.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we lost power this morning, I guess I can get into the net w/o power on my laptop if the battery holds up. Everything is shut down this weekend, lots of stores closed early yesterday, churches closed today, probably will not go into work tomorrow and will just remote into my desktop.

I live near a well-used 4-lane road, and I've not seen a car on it but like every 5 minutes. Very odd. There are sheets of ice on the road and it's raining again at 33F, so when it freezes again this afternoon we'll have curb-to-curb ice.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
We live no less than 1/4 mile from a Wal Mart Supercenter, When we had an ice storm a few years ago and lost power.

Wal Mart had Power, we were without power from my house all the way to the next town.

Hope you are lukier than us.

Forgot to say that we were without power for 9 days.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
It is cold here in the Mojave desert. So cold that the pool has a layer of ice on it! Not ready to skate on just yet, but I've never had it ice over in the 5 years I've owned it. Must be that darned global warming that Al Gore keeps warning us about.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Global warming. :) The average tempuature has raised about 1F over the past 100 years, that's it, that's the major catastrophy. Towns that were at 88.1F are now about 89.1F for a typical temp. I think that some of these folks say that we've made the environment "angry" and it will get even with us. Anyhow, if you want more ice on your pool, better run your Burb longer to get some more CFCs in the atmosphere.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I lived in Washington State from age 6 to 25, and eastern Washington from 6-14. We used to go to Diamond lake, north of Spokane, and I remember us driving a Suburban out on that lake. That's how cold it got. :)

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
YIKES, we got a power surge and I just lost a bunch of lights in my kitchen. 4 lights are out, burned up. :-O

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We lost power for about an hour, looks like ice is building up on the power lines across the street, etc. AT&T/SBC vans are going up to the boxes in the junction house in the park next to my house as well. We may be in for some fun. :) Get to break out the propane stoves and lanterns. :)

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Cool lantern and stove. All you need is a case of top ramen and you are set.

·
1,457 Posts
@ Steve,

I saw on the news that it's very cold now where you live.
Over here it's to warm for this time of the year it’s 13 Degrees above zero now.
Strange, normally it’s the other way around
:roll:

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's just started to freeze again, the streets are all wet like in front of my house there is about 4" of water in a big puddle and it's going to be 25F tonight, will be pretty slick to drive on, that's for sure.

·
1,457 Posts
Don’t get me wrong here, I love American Cars, but I experienced that they don’t drive well on slippery roads maybe it’s the weight I don’t know. :wink:

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In the south, few people know how to drive in this stuff. I grew up in the north and you were prepared. It's like James Kim who died in Oregon last month ... wasn't prepared for winter driving.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've already gotten ready to work from home tomorrow and told my assistant to stay home as well. We can remote into our network and can get work done from the comfort of our homes. My Cavalier is 100% iced over right now, the streets are icing up and there's ice everywhere.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Forecast calls for snow flurries tomorrow and falling temperatures once again. :( I'd almost forgotten that it's been winter what with these warm temps we've been having. :)

I've had my Tahoe for all of 6 days and have yet to drive it in "nice" weather.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, it's bad driving again! I have about 1" of snow at my house and I got a call from my Mother-in-law asking if I would drive her to work at 5:30 AM this morning. (She's a nurse and can't call in)

I almost took the Cavalier becuase it handles better in snow being FWD with only 5,000 miles on some new all-season Cooper rubber, but I opted for the Trailblazer instead. She did just fine driving about 30 miles total round trip, I have about 5,000 miles on new All season Pathfinder tires too and I really only had one or two spots where I lost traction.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts