GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a new Jasper 5.7L engine installed In my 96 Silverado. The temperature gage reads at the halfway mark between 100 and 210 (I read this as about 160?). Scanner confirms engine is at 194 though. Multimeter confirms new coolant temp sending unit is at 246 ohms. Replaced instrument cluster with a rebuilt unit because some of the other gages were a bit squirrelly too, but temp gage still reads the same. Suspect it may be the wire running through the firewall to the connector, but no idea how to get at the right pin to test it. Any thoughts on any of this puzzle? Thanks.

·
Registered
14,775 Posts
I'm not an expert, by any means, on the 350 cooling system: however, I believe there are 2 coolant sensors in the 350.
One by the thermostat, the other in the drivers side head; which one have you changed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not an expert, by any means, on the 350 cooling system: however, I believe there are 2 coolant sensors in the 350.
One by the thermostat, the other in the drivers side head; which one have you changed?
I replaced the one on the drivers side of the block with a single wire. The other one by the thermostat with 2 wires goes to the ECM.

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,372 Posts
Yeah, the temperature gage on these isn’t the greatest. It’s more just a verification that coolant is warming up but actual verifiable readings are best done with an infrared thermometer like you did.

Reactions: PlaywithTBI

·
Registered
835 Posts
Yeah, the temperature gage on these isn’t the greatest. It’s more just a verification that coolant is warming up but actual verifiable readings are best done with an infrared thermometer like you did.
Yeah, mine's the opposite. The gauge shows somewhere around 208* when the ECM says it's 194*. When sitting at a light in the summer the gauge will go up to 218* and the ECM sees 198*. The head is generally hotter than the water jacket by the T-Stat. IMHO the gauge is just a suggestion in these things, LOL.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thanks guys, I feel a little better knowing I have company. Does anybody have a diagram of the pin connector in the dash that the instrument cluster plugs into? I’d like to run a wire on the outside from the sending unit to the cluster just to rule that out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts