GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to have an alignment done on my 09 Silverado and was told I needed upper and lower ball joints to the tune of $1300. Had another shop look at it and they said the same and wanted $1500. Dealer wants over $1600.
Now after reading the forums and doing some pricing, I can get MOOG parts for $300 and figure with an alignment, I can be back on the road for under $500.
My question is, what am I missing here? MOOG parts are supposed to be quality parts. Is this just shops trying to make money?

Thanks,

Larry

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
the rest is labour. if you have a couple techs working at $100 an hour it sure adds up fast. MOOG is all I put on my truck for any of these kinds of parts.

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
the rest is labour. if you have a couple techs working at $100 an hour it sure adds up fast. MOOG is all I put on my truck for any of these kinds of parts.
Al is rite, its the labor cost that is adding up to $1300, $1500. If you are being told that all 4 ball joints are bad though, I would find a new shop to bring it to, and not tell them that someone else looked at it already. See if they say the same thing. Moog is about the best there is. I just got back from having my truck aligned, for the second time in less than 3 months, because the last shop did not do a proper job. Some shops push there mechanics to put out as much work as they can in a day in the interest of making money. Not only by doing the job as quick as possible, but also by changing things that are not needed yet. The shop that did the alignment on my truck a few months ago, had the spec numbers with in range, but they were not spot on, and I keep a very close eye on my truck and how it is performing. On the first alignment, the tech said I needed to replace the lower ball joint on the passengers side, and both of the upper ball joints. I said ok, I will take it home and change it out and bring it back. After taking the truck home and rechecking everything my self to be sure I was being told the correct info, it took me about 1/2 day to change it out everything. Today the shop gave me a print out with the alignment specs, before and after. The specs after, were spot on, where the before specs were off just a little, but still with in spec. This is a direct result of the tech saying thats good enough, its with in spec. I admit, it took 4 hours today, and the first time a few months ago, it took 2 hours. Most people don't know the difference, so the shops get away with it. The last set of tires I had only lasted 25,000 miles and they were 50,000 mile tires. I had an adjustment on a new set of tires, but it still cost me 60 % of the cost of new tires, not to mention the new balance, valve stem, and shop charges that I had to pay for all over again, because a tech had the attitude, that good enough, its with in spec.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies. I did bring it to two independent shops, and they both told me the same thing. Looks like I'll be spending some quality time with my truck once the parts come in.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies. I did bring it to two independent shops, and they both told me the same thing. Looks like I'll be spending some quality time with my truck once the parts come in.
there saying both upper and lower are bad on a 2009 GM truck ? you best get a floor jack and a big steel bar and check those yourself.

my guess is the lower are with some play in them but perhaps its all b/s..

my 2000 silverado has the 2000 ball joints in it and I drive on shitty roads up here. also the snow crap.

if the joints do need replacing then replace the strut springs and the shocks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found it very odd that both shops said all 4 were bad. I'll take the advice from j cat and jack it up and check it myself.

The truck is all stock and I've had it since new. It's driven on gravel and the occasional forest service road, but that's about it. I have heard the sealed ball joints aren't all that great, but it's only 90K miles.

If one is bad from normal wear, how long until the others go? That's the big question

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
the big question IMO is is it bad.

these parts cause tire wear and steering issues. if it steers good and the tire wear is normal and you do not hear/feel popping when turning at low speeds then it should be good.

the last time I did my alignment [me] was back in 2001. I do check the front end every 10-13K miles on the tire rotations . did have to replace the right inner tie rod twice . had a slight wear issue . my tires run 85K miles. 170K on it now.

when I was a stupid young guy I had a shop do my alignment .. tech showed me that the lower ball had some movement what that hell did I know . so I told him my family members repair shop will fix it .. well he was not smiling . so when I bring it in my family member says its b/s..

that amount of movement is normal ..

I still have that 1984 camaro today no ball joints replaced.

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
I'm with j cat, the ball joints don't all fail at the same time. Some vehicles eat lower faster than others, some eat uppers.
You may need one, or the other, but I doubt both.
That was kind of my thoughts as well. My 97 C1500 with 226,000 miles still has its original lower ball joint on the drivers side. Why would all 4 god bad at the same time? The lower ball joint on the passengers side was just replaced a few months ago at 225,000 miles. It to was the original that came on the truck in 1997. My daughter has an 08 Dodge 1500, with 125,000 miles. She took it to have the front end aligned and they told her the same thing they told you. All 4 ball joints were bad, I said BS. I jacked up her truck, and got a long bar, and found 1 bad ball joint. I took it to the alignment shop, and they said the same thing I did, one bad ball joint. I took it home and changed it, then brought it back. IMO the shops you are dealing with probably want to do all 4 ball joints, because one or two are bad, and they have to warranty there work, so it may be there policy to do all 4 if two are more are bad.

·
Super Moderator
740 Posts
On my last truck a 96, the original ball joints lasted 250K miles. The alignment shop said they were still in spec and they would do the alignment with warranty and all, but they were on the edge of spec, so I replaced all 4 myself and brought the truck back for the alignment. The lower passenger side had the rubber boot torn off for the last 6 years and 70K miles and it was still in spec, but barely. I do a lot of off road in sand and mud and do not baby it. I will hit 60mph on logging roads and often have all 4 wheels off the ground over the tops of hills. I will admit that I carry a small grease gun in my tool kit and after playing in the dirt I always crawled under to pump fresh grease into the joint with no boot to flush out the dirt and water. I sure can not complain about that. It cost me about $250 for the parts and a weekend working on it and then the alignment that I was going to get anyhow.

·
Registered
103 Posts
my 2000 with 169K miles has the same issue. Dealer said lower right is bad but the left should also be replaced. ~ $1300.
Trying to see if I can find someone to do it for less

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
my 2000 with 169K miles has the same issue. Dealer said lower right is bad but the left should also be replaced. ~ $1300.
Trying to see if I can find someone to do it for less
I would not use dealership to do regular repairs on a 2000 GM truck. go to a local auto repair $1300 is saying go somewhere else !
If right is worn just do right . those 2000 ball joints are better steel than the china crap now made.

make sure you grease these every 6-12 months using a lithium grease using a hand grease gun and not too much to break the seals .

·
Registered
132 Posts
Gosh is changing ball joints on Chevys That hard? I changed the ones (4) on my '89 Dodge Ram for about $300 and $50 of that was for a big socket set (Xlers screw in). Ha! and I had to use a 6' long breaker bar...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm with j cat, the ball joints don't all fail at the same time. Some vehicles eat lower faster than others, some eat uppers.
You may need one, or the other, but I doubt both.
Thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard. Ive done at least 35 sets of ball joints on gm pickups alone. They fail at the same time all the time.

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
Oh, we have an expert!!!!

Do you work for one of the rip off shops we talked about???

I stand by my original statement, ball joints will fail in pairs, but all 4 will not be worn out at the same time.

·
Registered
794 Posts
My 2001 Suburban still has the original ball joints at 285k miles.
Tires wear even and steering is still tight.
They came from the factory with grease fittings and I grease it once every 2 - 3 years.
Now, the bushings, they are getting tired though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just did mine last fall, both upper control arms (bushings were going bad) and the passenger side lower ball joint.
Total $350 CAD installed plus $75 for an alignment. Got the ones with grease Zerks.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Just did mine last fall, both upper control arms (bushings were going bad) and the passenger side lower ball joint.
Total $350 CAD installed plus $75 for an alignment. Got the ones with grease Zerks.
lower right/pass side ball joints do wear out 1st.. more whacking ...I never replaced any upper ball joints..
my new toyota 2016 truck has no grease fittings on the ball joints/tie rods.. so I spray the rubber boots with silicone spray.. boots look like new no cracks or any grease leaks..I also do the alignments.. tires all look exactly the same .
I also spray the control arm bushings with silicone .. all my vehicles no bushing rubber wear / damage..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts