GM Truck Club Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
i just got back from getting a drainage issue fixed at a dealership,as it turns out,it was the gauge cluster module that was causing the drain,it was a spendy fix,but at least i wont have buy batterys for for a hundred a clip anymore
romymouse2000GMC My 2000 Sierra has a parasitic drain that can be stopped by pulling the instrument cluster fuse. Local cluster expert says that the diode problem is rare or non-existent on a 2000 model. But common with 2003+

Pulling the 5 amp fuse labeled " Audio system, Instrument Cluster, Climate Control System" solves the problem temporarily but I'm looking for a permanent fix. Any pointers would be appreciated. Romy

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
the RAP relay in the bcm could be the problem. ign key turned off then 20sec the RAP relay turns off the power. the failure of the 20 sec shutdown will draw 250MA ...
replace the relay possible BCM.. being this old I had a relay intermittently fail to shut off the interior lamps..that was on a 1996 GM sedan...

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
@j cat , not sure he has a RAP relay, the newer BCMs don't use one.
But, I think your on the right track!
@romymouse2000GMC stay in your truck after you turn off the key, leave the radio playing.
After 10 mins the radio should stop; at that time, try all of the other things impacted by the fuse you talked about. See what, if anything, is still working.

·
Registered
7 Posts
battery drain update on 2000 GMC Sierra:
1. turned off key with radio on--opened door and radio went off
2. removed Prodigy tow/brake control
3. removed underhood light fixture (didn't work but bulb was good)
4. hooked up digital voltmeter and read 660 m amps
5. removed 15 amp fuse that controls the radio, climate control, and instrument cluster
6. voltmeter now reads 70 m amps
7. put everything back together and sat in truck waiting for the radio to shut off per previous posts;
8. radio did not shut off even after 15+ minutes; i think the retained accessory power relay is supposed to shut off after 10 minutes;
I'm going to replace the RAP#1 relay and see what happens next.
Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Relay replaced and did the radio check again. Radio shut off at exactly 20 minutes after turning off the key. The new relay did not feel near as warm as the old one.
I'll have to re-run the meter check on Monday to see if the current drain changed.
and then disconnect the radio to make sure the only thing in the circuit is the instrument cluster;
too bad GMC didn't put in separate fuses for those items;

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello All,
So has anyone had any luck in figuring out what is causing the battery drain issue son our trucks?
I've googled the issue until my fingers have bleed and still have not found an answer. In the mean time I will continue to troubleshoot and take readings.
My husband had a battery drain problem with his Monte Carlo. They had to remove the Onstar unit. Good as new. Hope this helps

21 - 32 of 32 Posts