GM Truck Club Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
I had to buy a rebuilt alternator for my 1984 camaro V8 . well the current output was only 10 AMPS when I put on the headlights and the voltage dropped to 12 volts. when I was removing the alternator my hand got burned on the belt pulley... armature was defective... brought it back to advance auto .. was looking for another part store.. so I fixed my OEM alternator . the diodes in the alternator had a corroded connection .. I cleaned up the diodes and the alternator works perfectly..
I have voltmeters and current clamp on tools to test how the alternator works.
my 2000 silverado uses about 65 amps when running ac on ....I purchased a new alternator on my 2000 truck still working .. the OEM factory alternator had a defective regulator in the alternator ..

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
replacing the ground cables ? the cable lugs/battery connections need cleaning ..
use a current clamp meter to check out whats the problem .
have the auto part store test that alternator ...where did you buy it ? what part store ?

·
Registered
2002 gmc sierra 1500 4.8
12 Posts
I bought the alternator from autozone it was a remanufactured one and after i put it in and i still had the problem i did take it out and have them test it and it was good but the problem started before i bought the new alternator so i think its safe to the problem isn't with the alternator.

·
Registered
2002 gmc sierra 1500 4.8
12 Posts
well after i changed all the cables the outcome was still the same. I'm wondering if it is my fuel pump because when i turn my truck off after about 3 mins the gas gauge will jump up to 1/4 or 1/2 and when i open the door it drops down. I also get a p0452 code every time i start my truck. I am relly getting stressed out of the issue.

·
Registered
2002 gmc sierra 1500 4.8
12 Posts
I also read a post about the instrument panel voltage regulator has anyone ever heard of that giving a similar problems??

·
Registered
13,858 Posts
If your seeing voltages changing when your doing things like opening doors, you have a problem with dirty/poor connections, either on the positive side, or the ground side.
As I said earlier, you need to ensure all battery cables and connections are good and they are clean (I know, you changed the cables); next, you need to clean all grounds.

·
Registered
2002 gmc sierra 1500 4.8
12 Posts
does any one know why my gas gauge drops to E when i turn the truck off ( normal function) then after a few mins it jumps up along with my oil gauge, and they drop down once i open my door.

·
Registered
Many... All Gm
645 Posts
Try pulling the cluster, see if that helps both your charging, gauge and drain issues... I've seen a few of these clusters go. All of your issues I've read so far, point me in that direction. Side note, it will drive, but if you plan to drive it like that, you might want a phone gps app for speed, and hope olps and temps are ok.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts