GM Truck Club Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
I had to buy a rebuilt alternator for my 1984 camaro V8 . well the current output was only 10 AMPS when I put on the headlights and the voltage dropped to 12 volts. when I was removing the alternator my hand got burned on the belt pulley... armature was defective... brought it back to advance auto .. was looking for another part store.. so I fixed my OEM alternator . the diodes in the alternator had a corroded connection .. I cleaned up the diodes and the alternator works perfectly..
I have voltmeters and current clamp on tools to test how the alternator works.
my 2000 silverado uses about 65 amps when running ac on ....I purchased a new alternator on my 2000 truck still working .. the OEM factory alternator had a defective regulator in the alternator ..

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
replacing the ground cables ? the cable lugs/battery connections need cleaning ..
use a current clamp meter to check out whats the problem .
have the auto part store test that alternator ...where did you buy it ? what part store ?

·
Registered
2002 gmc sierra 1500 4.8
11 Posts
I bought the alternator from autozone it was a remanufactured one and after i put it in and i still had the problem i did take it out and have them test it and it was good but the problem started before i bought the new alternator so i think its safe to the problem isn't with the alternator.

·
Registered
2002 gmc sierra 1500 4.8
11 Posts
well after i changed all the cables the outcome was still the same. I'm wondering if it is my fuel pump because when i turn my truck off after about 3 mins the gas gauge will jump up to 1/4 or 1/2 and when i open the door it drops down. I also get a p0452 code every time i start my truck. I am relly getting stressed out of the issue.

·
Registered
2002 gmc sierra 1500 4.8
11 Posts
I also read a post about the instrument panel voltage regulator has anyone ever heard of that giving a similar problems??

·
Registered
13,826 Posts
If your seeing voltages changing when your doing things like opening doors, you have a problem with dirty/poor connections, either on the positive side, or the ground side.
As I said earlier, you need to ensure all battery cables and connections are good and they are clean (I know, you changed the cables); next, you need to clean all grounds.

·
Registered
2002 gmc sierra 1500 4.8
11 Posts
does any one know why my gas gauge drops to E when i turn the truck off ( normal function) then after a few mins it jumps up along with my oil gauge, and they drop down once i open my door.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts