GM Truck Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went out to run some errands this evening, noticed it turned over slowly.
I figured it was the cold (high temp today was 12*),but every time I started it, it got slower,till it finally was dead. I got a jump, gauge showed 8 volts on the way home. had to drive home without lights.when I got home, I found a loose ground cable. was this loose ground cable the culprit?

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
RE: battery problem?

most likely. get the battery charged and then check voltage

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Clean the terminals

Have you tried cleaning the terminals? It is surprising how a little oxidation will prevent a car from starting. I make it a habit of cleaning the battery terminals every spring and fall. I can't tell you the number of times a couple of twists of the terminal brush brought an engine roaring to life. Side terminal batteries seem especially susceptible to corrosion issues. btw I convert all my side post cables to top post whenever I buy a new battery that offers both types.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RE: Clean the terminals

thanks for the info. I have it hooked to a charger now, will let it charge overnight,and clean the terminals before trying it again.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts

When I buy a new battery, I buy the type with duel terminals, both top and side. They make jumpstarting so much easier, and if you need to swap to a vehicle that has top or side terminals you are covered.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts

I've had starting issues before that were perplexing like this, until I realized that the battery terminal was either loose or corroded. My emergency travel kit usually includes a battery terminal cleaner.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

well, I just finished cleaning and tightening the terminal connections, started back up, but the voltmeter still shows less than 13 volts. turning lights, etc on drops the gauge reading.
when I got back from a test drive, it restarted, voltmeter showed same as while driving, under 13v, do I still have a battery problem? or, should I remove the alt, which appears to have been recently replaced

* battery was charged with My trickle charger for 16 hours.
the battery is 2 years old, was in the truck when I bought it
I do have another good battery I could try and swap, after the sleet/snow nix quits falling

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts

It's possible that both are bad (or either). You can get them tested for free at your local auto parts store. If this is a new rig for you, it's possible that the battery is just not holding a charge, it's also possible that the alt isn't putting out enough juice.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts

If you have a voltage tester try testing at the battery terminals, if it is not reading at least 13.5 going into the battery you may have a bad alt.

But start with the battery, bring it in and have the parts store charge it first then test it. They have to charge it first to make sure they have a fully charged battery to test.

If the battery test good on a load after this then I would take the alt. in for testing, but only after cleaning not only the battery terminals but also starter terminals and alt. terminals.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

well....the verdict is in... alternator has shot craps
took it to my local auto zone, had an on car load test done, showed it was only putting out 10.1 amps
(has 105 amp alt). so will see if the dealer will warranty it
the brand name on it was "world class"

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts

Depends on the deal that you made with the dealer when you bought it. They may/may not fight it, it's just an alt, so if they give an type of warranty or 30-day service contract (or whatever) then the alt should be covered, parts and labor. You may have to pay and the dealer will reinburse.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.