GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to why when i had my cooper stt's i had bed hop around 40-45mph and now since i installed the nitto terra grapplers same size 325/60/r18 there is no bed hop,lower road noise,smoother ride i know this is normal but the bed hop i don't get that? Anyone with answers would be much appreciated because i have no clue how that changed the difference. Also i don't rub in the front anymore either i can fully lock it without any rubbing which i love!

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Maybe one of the coopers was out of round, maybe even more than one.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean by out of round? well idk what the deal was they had good tread left maybe 35% sold for $300 today but what are you saying they were uneven or somethin?

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Did you put the Oval tires on again????

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put some Nitto Terra Grapplers on 325/60/r18 i bought from a guy for $60 for a set ha.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Were either of the rear wheels out of balance? When you bought the tires did they sit mounted in one spot for a long period of time? Those are just two things I could think of why a tire would give a vibration. Other than as asked before if they were out of round.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
What do you mean by out of round?
This would be high or low spots on the tires that don't allow the tire to run smooth. Not all tires are perfectly round & some are worse than others. The worst cases need to be trued up. The tire/wheel assembly is mounted on a machine & the high spots are cut down even with the lows. And I agree with STB this was most likely an oor tire rather than a balance problem. Could also have been flat spots like Aloxydaddy is talking about.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh okay i agree then ha i know i would much rather have all-terrains on my truck now with it being lifted compared to a mud tire being that it made my truck shake, road noise, and the all around ride was a comfortable. I will probably buy a new set of Nitto Terra Grapplers 35 12.50 end of this year or next year.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
When you get around 33"-35" and above in tire height you have more of a chance to get a tire that is out of round, don't ask me why but we ran into this alot. We just sent the tire back to the distributor. Thats one reason I run BFG A/T's or M/T's, we had good luck with them. BFG has been making those tires in large sizes forever so I think they have them fiquired out on howto make them round and to last.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah i was actually looking at the BFG AT KO's my buddy has them on his truck and i've always like the way they look with the tread design but they are really exspensive compared to the Nitto Terra's which i am thinking about getting some brand new off of www.rimzoneonline.com for $912 which isn't bad for 35 12.50's and they have free shipping i havent found a site online that is cheaper than them do you know anywhere else that is cheaper and offers free shipping on tires?

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
I always get 60,000-65,000 miles out of my BFG A/T's and 50,000-55,000 miles from the BFG M/T's. Thats for a 35" tire. I DO keep them rotated and properly air up.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah the BFG AT KO's or Nitto Terra Grapplers will be my next purchase being i want a A/T too look good and also ride and last a good while being that i rarely take my truck in the mud being deep mud at that!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I've run the cooper Stt on my truck since I've had it. They are very loud tires and don't have the greatest ride. But it must have been a bad tire or out of balanced to hop like that. My truck gets a decent amount of highway use and I'll run up to 120 on them and there fine, even though I know 120 on mud terrains isn't a great idea I can't help it sometimes.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah what i think happened with the tires is they went out of round from chunks of the tread coming off so it just thru everything off when that happened. I am getting some super swamper m-16's in a 35 12.50 once i wear these all terrains down to ther last mile lol i sold the stt's for $350 though.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The only swappers I'm ever run were bloggers on a truck I use n mud boggin completions n what not, I hated em n put on tractor tires on. but I've heard good things bout the m 16s just make sure they balance them the right way plenty of shops these days don't always do it right for big tires like that

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah the m-16's look damn good to they resemble a Stt allot but different pattern layout and will be a tad better in mud. The stt's i had did damn good in the mud only time i got stuck is when i went thru a hole a lifted jeep with 36's went thru and i had 33 13.50's and went thru to many times haha the beer talked me into it and i ended up to bottom out. The lift i havent got stuck other than i blew up my power steering pump lol but hey i had a good time out at the lake house with my buddys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts