GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At some point (once I can afford it), I want to get a spray in bed liner for my truck. Of course, I've heard Rhino Liners are good. I got a quote for $400 (TuffLiner, under the rail) for one of those. I was wondering what other options there are. I've heard of a couple of other brands, but wasn't sure how they compare to Rhio as far as price and durability. What do yall recommend? Thanks!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have heard from everyone that Line-X is a great product, plus I have a good friend that had one in his truck when he bought it. However, I don't know that these are cheaper than the Rhino lining.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The top two liners are Line-X and Rhino, yet they are both two different types of lining. The Line-X is like pure sandpaper, and the Rhino is more like a rubberized texture feeling. Both are heavy duty, both perform the same, both provide excellent grip. The only difference is the texture. I personally would get Rhino because it kills my knees to feel rough surfaces like Line-X, but thats not to say Line-X is a bad product, every truck in my family has it (except mine). Both are pricey, and I would say it's about $450 for either one, but the warranty is LIFELONG .

·
Registered
147 Posts
You could just get a "bed mat" meanwhile.
They work good in some situations.

Bert

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips! There was a bed mat in there when I bought the truck, so that will tide me over until I can afford the spray in. I'll have to check into Line-X. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I've had two liners in my two trucks. My f150 got the DIY Duplicolor Bed Coating and it worked great for the price. :great:.. It held up great even under heavy use. Of course it's not as good as line-x or Rhino or Dualliner, but total price was I think 75 bucks. It was in a 97 and made the bed look brand new with spray liner. I'll go into more detail if you want just let me know. In my new 07, I opted for the bedrug. AWESOME. Super comfortable on the knees, can handle anything and so far is super stain resistant.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had two liners in my two trucks. My f150 got the DIY Duplicolor Bed Coating and it worked great for the price. :great:.. It held up great even under heavy use. Of course it's not as good as line-x or Rhino or Dualliner, but total price was I think 75 bucks. It was in a 97 and made the bed look brand new with spray liner. I'll go into more detail if you want just let me know. In my new 07, I opted for the bedrug. AWESOME. Super comfortable on the knees, can handle anything and so far is super stain resistant.
I wonder how it would look w/ rubber mat and spray liner on the sides?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
pinehawk99 Quote:
Originally Posted by finalday7
I've had two liners in my two trucks. My f150 got the DIY Duplicolor Bed Coating and it worked great for the price. .. It held up great even under heavy use. Of course it's not as good as line-x or Rhino or Dualliner, but total price was I think 75 bucks. It was in a 97 and made the bed look brand new with spray liner. I'll go into more detail if you want just let me know. In my new 07, I opted for the bedrug. AWESOME. Super comfortable on the knees, can handle anything and so far is super stain resistant.

I wonder how it would look w/ rubber mat and spray liner on the sides?
I was gonna do that on my last truck but I never got around to it. I've heard that some people have problems with spot rust after long term use with the bed mats. Water getting trapped and not being able to evaporate. Having a spray liner under it would solve that for sure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was gonna do that on my last truck but I never got around to it. I've heard that some people have problems with spot rust after long term use with the bed mats. Water getting trapped and not being able to evaporate. Having a spray liner under it would solve that for sure.
I heard the same.But I wonder if they were older type bedmat ?Maybe newer ones have fixed that problem.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ya, I have the mat right now and as useful as it is, it is not as good as a spray in. So just how difficult is it to apply the Duplicolor DIY, and where is it available?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
SoonerSilverado11 Ya, I have the mat right now and as useful as it is, it is not as good as a spray in. So just how difficult is it to apply the Duplicolor DIY, and where is it available?
I just wrote a little how to in another thread. It really is very easy it's just ALOT of work. If you put in the hours it will come out alot better than if you don't take the time to prep. It's available most places car parts are sold. Autozone, Advance Auto Parts even Walmart. If you wanna see a quick video, go to Duplicolor.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
Rhino lining goes on "cold", where as Line-X goes on" hot". Rhino after a period of time dulls in appearance, Line-X stays shiny. I have Line-X that goes over the rails, true it is not cheap ($500.00). Have had Rhino in work trucks, and after a period of time they will also begin to tear at the edges. I attribute this to the cold application. Line-X also offers a variety of colors also to match your truck.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rhino lining goes on "cold", where as Line-X goes on" hot". Rhino after a period of time dulls in appearance, Line-X stays shiny. I have Line-X that goes over the rails, true it is not cheap ($500.00). Have had Rhino in work trucks, and after a period of time they will also begin to tear at the edges. I attribute this to the cold application. Line-X also offers a variety of colors also to match your truck.
Great info! :great: I never knew there was a difference in how they are applied.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have actaully seen some trucks out here painted this Line-x. Not the bed of the truck, the whole truck. it actually didn't look half bad.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have Line-x In my bed. I would never recommend ANYTHING else. i love it, oil resistant, I take my dirtbikes out a lot, and it hoses right off, gas oil, grease, anything , it doesnt stain, or wear at all. its pretty indestructible. ive thrown stuff in the back(chop saw, etc, and never leaves a mark,. Its like a sand paper fiinsh ver good grip for whatever you toss back there. I would say go with Line x you cant beat it. Ryno liner is like a rubber compound and the heat affects it . My friends in his jeep gets soft and tacky in the summer direct sunlight. He is envious of my Line-x but line x is more expensive but you will be very very pleased. Try to get it over the rail , as i had gone under the rail at first and had to pay extra to go over the rail a year later. but definitly covered the scratches i put in my bed rail lol.

good luck whatever you choose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another alternative is Herculiner.

I applied it to the base of my auto trailer, and it has been bulletproof - easily as tough as Rhinoliner. It's about $90/gal and the kit will do your whole truck bed. I have an extra gallon (I used the grey color) that I will probably use in my bed before I put on a camper shell. Since it will be under a shell I am not concerned with UV and fading, something I have heard happens with Rhinoliner (not sure about herculiner).

Anyway, you apply Herculiner like paint (the kit has a special roller that you use) and it's pretty easy to do. You first need to clean and scuff the surface (and re-clean it afterwards) and mask off places you don't want it (like you do when painting). Follow the directions explicitly and you will have no issues.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another alternative is Herculiner.

I applied it to the base of my auto trailer, and it has been bulletproof - easily as tough as Rhinoliner. It's about $90/gal and the kit will do your whole truck bed. I have an extra gallon (I used the grey color) that I will probably use in my bed before I put on a camper shell. Since it will be under a shell I am not concerned with UV and fading, something I have heard happens with Rhinoliner (not sure about herculiner).

Anyway, you apply Herculiner like paint (the kit has a special roller that you use) and it's pretty easy to do. You first need to clean and scuff the surface (and re-clean it afterwards) and mask off places you don't want it (like you do when painting). Follow the directions explicitly and you will have no issues.

Good luck!
I've often wondered how that stuff works. Since spray in liners are so expensive, the DIY seemed like the way to go, but I wasn't sure how they held up. Let us know how the truck application goes. Maybe post some pictures of your progress and post it in the how-to section! Good luck! :great:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Okay folks, I just completed the Herculiner application to the bed of my Sierra 1500 Crew Cab. I had almost a gallon of Herculiner left over from doing my trailer (it was the Grey color, which is fine as that matches the interior of my GMC), so I decided to use that and hoped it would be enough to do my complete bed (it wasn't).

The results are excellent (if I do say so myself). It looks easily as good as a Rhinoliner, and while it did take me some time - about 12 hours from start to finish including drying time - it was not difficult.

Prep work was the largest part of the endeavor and took about 4 hours, but it was a rainy day and I was in no hurry and because of that I was very thorough. I cleaned the bed, then taped off the areas I did not want the Herculiner on (tape it like you're painting) then used a few of the scotch brite pads and some 120 grit sandpaper to rough up the paint. This was a time consuming task, but if you do a good job you'll be rewarded when you put down the Herculiner. Then I cleaned the dust off with a damp towel, and followed it up with a full wipe-down usuing Xylene (wear a respirator - I wore one while applying the Xylene and the Herculiner).

Once that was done, I applied the Herculiner per the instructions, starting with the brush on the seams and places the roller would not get and then using the roller working from the front to back. I let the first coat dry for about 45 minutes then I hit the taped seam areas with a second coat then imediately removed the tape (came off very easily and left a nice edge).

The first coat, by the way, was not very pretty - very splotchy to say the least. I had faith and then waited another 45 minutes or so and then applied the second coat, again starting with the places which could not be gotten with the roller and then finishing with the roller. While applying the second coat I could see that it was going to look a lot better thatn the first. When I was finished it had completely transformed itself and looks great. I did not have enough Herculiner to do the tailgate, so I have ordered another quart and will get it done this week.

I highly recommend Herculiner - it costs about $100 a gallon for the kit and is way less than having someone Rhinoline your vehicle. Don't get me wrong - I like Rhinoliner, but I also like saving $400. :)

My new Leer Cap should be in in the next week or so, so I can't wait to get that installed before the snow flies.

Oh, I also installed the bed seal kit that you can get for the new bodied GMC and Chevy trucks - if anyone has questions on it let me know. I did not use all of it but did find the rear tailgate seal part to be useful (in spite of the incorrect installation instructions).

Pardon the lengthy post....some of the fumes from the Xylene must've gotten through the respirator. ;-)

Anyway, the bed liner project was a huge success, and if I can do it, anyone can.

Happy motoring!

-John

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
i would recomend rhino and the diy bed liners dont seem to hold up ..esp if you "use" your bed often to haul things

1 - 20 of 38 Posts