1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Till you don't lock it. Blam! right in the gonads...

Reactions: ChevyFan

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did a software demo to them over the web and they were happy, they said they would custom build one for my trailblazer at a good price. It would be nice if they could build a box so that I could put stuff in it when it gets broken into they can't get that stuff!

·
Registered
404 Posts
The bedslide is a good product for people that need to load/unload stuff like that all the time. Good old American manufacturing, that's for sure!

·
Registered
249 Posts
that actually looks like a pretty cool product, but it seems to be pretty permanent for a fix. wonder if you can get one to pop in and out?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I don't know about that brand, but I know the Jotto Slide is pretty easy to remove from the vehicle when necessary. I would assume this brand is the same way. Its not a permanent mount, but extremely convenient.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I realize this is an old thread but thought I'd post some related information.

I recently purchased a used Bedslide via Craigslist. I bought it from a guy who was using it in his short-bed pickup. I'm going to install it in my 2005 Suburban.

The mounting configuration for the pickup was very simple. All we had to do to remove it from the bed of the truck was lift the rear of the Bedslide and then pull it back to remove it from the anchors at the front of the bed. No tools required! I was amazed and pleased that it removed from his vehicle so easily. With this configuration the bedslide can be installed and removed from the truck in just minutes. Gravity holds it in place. In this case, gravity held the unit in place and it was easily removed by two guys. Probably only weighs 100 - 150 pounds at most.

The Bedslide physically fits into the back of my Suburban with the 3rd row seat removed. However, I'm going to need to "engineer" some mounting points so I don't have to drill any holes in the floor. Unlike a pickup bed I can't just use the load and go gravity method with the pre-engineered engagement pins. I think I'll be able to use the mounting cleats for the 3rd row seat - the cleats are beefy and will support quite a cantilever load. I'm considering using some J-hooks to engage the cleats then fasten the J-hooks to the a flange on the Bedslide.

Clear as mud, right? I'll consider taking some pictures if I have time.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I realize this is an old thread but thought I'd post some related information.

I recently purchased a used Bedslide via Craigslist. I bought it from a guy who was using it in his short-bed pickup. I'm going to install it in my 2005 Suburban.

The mounting configuration for the pickup was very simple. All we had to do to remove it from the bed of the truck was lift the rear of the Bedslide and then pull it back to remove it from the anchors at the front of the bed. No tools required! I was amazed and pleased that it removed from his vehicle so easily. With this configuration the bedslide can be installed and removed from the truck in just minutes. Gravity holds it in place. In this case, gravity held the unit in place and it was easily removed by two guys. Probably only weighs 100 - 150 pounds at most.

The Bedslide physically fits into the back of my Suburban with the 3rd row seat removed. However, I'm going to need to "engineer" some mounting points so I don't have to drill any holes in the floor. Unlike a pickup bed I can't just use the load and go gravity method with the pre-engineered engagement pins. I think I'll be able to use the mounting cleats for the 3rd row seat - the cleats are beefy and will support quite a cantilever load. I'm considering using some J-hooks to engage the cleats then fasten the J-hooks to the a flange on the Bedslide.

Clear as mud, right? I'll consider taking some pictures if I have time.
You read my mind! I'd love to see pics of what that looks like.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've completed the preparation for the Bedslide installation. In the pictures below you'll see the cleat in the floor originally used for the 3rd row seat. I'm going to secure the Bedslide using modified eye bolts. I plan to use two eye bolts at each of the 5 cleats in the floor. My plan is to install the two eye bolts in opposing directions. I placed a piece of floor underlayment (luan?) over the carpet and cut holes to access the cleats. I welded two 1/4" X 2" X 48" bars of flat stock to the bottom of the Bedslide. The bar stock has holes drilled so the modified eye bolts can be inserted and locking nuts will be used to secure the eye bolts.

I plan to complete the installation in the next day or so and will post more pictures.

1_cleat.jpeg

2_eye_bolt.jpeg

3_eye_to_eye.jpeg

4_underlayment.jpeg

5_underlayment_detail.jpeg

6_bedslide_under.jpeg

Reactions: thegawd

·
Registered
183 Posts
More pictures showing the frame placed in the back of the Suburban with a close-up of the mounting bolts. As I mentioned above, I used two modified eye-bolts at each of the five 3rd row seat mounting cleats. The Bedslide extends 70% so it should be easy to access most of the storage from the rear of the Suburban. Otherwise, I'll be able to access some of the items from the interior when the middle row seats are folded forward as shown in the last picture. The Bedslide fits fine with the middle row seats in the upright position.

My next project will be to build some short of shelf system so I have two tiers of storage on the Bedslide. Don't know how quickly I'll get to that but when I do I'll post more pictures.

7_frame.jpeg

8_mounting_bolts.jpeg

9_extended.jpeg

10_stowed.jpeg

P.S. that's my friend's white RAM in the background of the pictures... don't think that I've gone over to the dark side.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just a couple more pictures showing the middle row seats in the upright position. If I didn't say it previously, this Bedslide is 66" front to back (including the grab handle) and 48" wide. There is about 3/8" to 1/2" clearance on each side so the Bedslide does not rub on the interior plastic panels.

I sure wish this Suburban had the middle row bench seat. If anyone out there has a middle row bench, for a 2005 Suburban, pewter color leather, for sale let me know. Or if you know of a good method to locate a reasonably priced bench seat I'd like to hear your suggestions. I'm in the southeast and willing to travel in the region if I can find a good leather seat. I've looked at local salvage yards, checked eBay and Craigslist but haven't found a middle row bench yet.

11_middle_row.jpeg

12_middle_row.jpeg

·
Registered
183 Posts
In hindsight I probably should have started a new thread for this subject since I've taken over the topic. If the moderator(s) want to move my posts to another thread that's fine with me.

So now that I've taken over... I'd like to show you the mac-daddy, sliding storage unit I have in my 1996 Suburban. I bought the Extendo Bed shown in these pictures a few years ago. It was used on eBay and I drove to northern Indiana to pick it up. It weighs many hundreds of pounds (500+) but it sure is strong. It's rated for 1200# but keep in mind that it slides out 100 percent! You can get to everything that's stored on the Extendo Bed.

Extendo Bed is one of the long-time manufacturers of this kind of product - rated for commercial use, not just the hobbyist or light-duty market. I'm very attached to my Extendo Bed but the weight is certainly a consideration. Particularly when I hitch up to a 7000+ pound travel trailer.

So that's where the lighter weight Bedslide came into the picture. Hopefully the Bedslide will support my camping gear and tools and save a little on the weight side of the equation.

Here are a few pictures of the Extendo Bed in the '96 Suburban. You can see the rails on the Extendo Bed are a series of three - a bottome frame attached to the floor, a top frame attached to the platform, and an intermediate frame on beefy rollers that allows the top and bottom frame to extend 100%. The frame components are made of 5/16" to 3/8" steel angle and I-beams. This thing must have a factor of safety of 10! You can see I store tools under the Extendo Bed

My Extendo Bed began life as a command center for a volunteer fire department. It was similar to the design shown in this link http://www.extendobed.com/product/kansas-2/ before I modified it to suit my needs.

1_extendobed.jpeg

2_extendobed.jpeg

3_extendobed.jpeg

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
WOW! thats awesome!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I finally took time to enhance the used Bedslide I purchased for our 2005 Suburban. I purchased the Bedslide via Craigslist for $225. It was a perfect fit for the Suburban after I removed the 3rd row seat. You can see pictures of the install in the post above.

In the last year to two our 1996 Suburban was our tow vehicle of choice. The 2005 Suburban was in reserve/backup and served as tow vehicle a few times but we really liked the 1996 because of it's bench seats and the mac-daddy ExtendoBed. Well.... the 1996 has left us stranded a couple times recently - first for a leaky fuel injector rail (my fault) and second when the fuel pump died. So it's time to call up the 2005 from reserve.

The original Bedslide is only a single platform and that just wouldn't do for all the things I like to bring along. We have lots of camping gear, mechanic tools and carpentry tools that we bring along on trips. The carpentry stuff is for the volunteering projects we do with the Habitat for Humanity RV Care-A-Vanner program.

You can see where this is headed. I needed to enhance the Bedslide so it would carry more "stuff." A local welding shop made an aluminum frame that allowed me to make a shelf for the Bedslide. The aluminum frame, associated hardware, a thick piece of plywood and some outdoor carpet on the plywood cost about $300 so now I'm into this project for $550. I have a great second level on the Bedslide for added capacity and it still cost less than the $1200 or so for a new Bedslide with just a single platform.

The total weight of the stuff we carry is 380 pounds. The enhanced Bedslide weighs 150 pounds but we traded about 75 pounds when we took away the 3rd row seat. So I've added about 455 pounds and I carry that everywhere we go. Maybe not the smartest idea but the vehicle is mainly used to camping trips and volunteering so it's ready to go in a hurry. Plus it's a K2500 so I'm not too concerned about the weight.

Here are the pictures of the original single platform as well as the enhanced Bedslide with the second level. And a final picture with all my stuff.

IMG_4351.JPG IMG_4347.JPG IMG_5271.JPG IMG_5273.JPG

1 - 18 of 18 Posts