GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-
I have a 2003 Chevy Suburban 1500 with Z71 package. I have coil springs and shocks. I want to beef up the rear end for trailering. Is my best option to use an Air Lift bags inside the coil springs or to look for a different shock altogether?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Airbags would be your best bet. They would be fully adjustable under load, and when not.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Shocks will do nothing to support the load of a trailer, they only stabilize the motion created from the road.
Your first choice of helper airbags was right on the money.
Firestone 500c airbags are probably the best on the market.
Pick up a copy of "Truckin" magazine and you'll find quite a few suppliers for airbag kits.
The best lit would be something with an on-board aircompressor so you can adjust from behind the wheel. But their are kits that have schrader valves mounted on the bumper or under the truck to allow servicing from a gas station air compressor. They arent as convenient but work equally as well and are cheaper to purchase.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Gotta go with the guys on this one. Ive seen what a set of air bags can do. Worth every penny. In fact in my owners manual, it says that once I excede 5500 lbs of tow weight, I need to add some kind of extra help to the rear leafs in order to get to my full towing weight of 8400 lbs. Air bags are the best. There when you need them, almost invisable when you don't.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am going to try to put a set of H2 rear springs in my 2000 Suburban. I have had this idea for a while now, just have to find used springs from someone who has lifted theirs. The wire diameter is the same (11/16ths) but the H2 spring is 1.5 inches taller and has a interference coil in it like the old Moog cargo coils. Mine has Autoride, so I don't want to change shocks.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
i'd also go with tim and suggest the firestone airbags... they will be your best bet

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
guys quick question. I know airbags are great and all but isn't a cheap alternative a 1" aal? Making the rearend stiffer so it wont sag should help a bit and there like 70 bucks. True they make the ride a little bit stiffer but just thought I'd throw that out there.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
An AAL will lift and stiffen the rear end on leaf sprung vehicles and their cheap, but AAL's also put a lot of stress on the existing leaf's and tend to crack the main leaf right at the point where the AAL ends. I've seen this happen a lot, 4 times on my rock crawler Tacoma, but since I usually get the springs free or real cheap it hasnt been an issue for me, yet.

·
Registered
57 Posts
AAL's do not work on coil springs. The last K1500 suburban with leaf springs was 1999, his is a 2003.
the 3/4 tons still have leafs, but that is not what he has.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts