GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your opinion where is the best place to buy parts from for both quality and price? O'Reilly's or Autozone, maybe neither, maybe somewhere online?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Between those 2 oreillys as they carry OEM brands. But personally I shop at KOI which is a local chain in my area that sells only pro grade, this is where most repair shops and dealers in my area get parts that they may not have in stock. This is the type of store you should look for, better parts and better knowledge than the big boxes

·
Registered
32 Posts
O'Reilly's, but I'm biased, I took a part time job there after I retired. Been there almost a year, great place to work and the employee discount is very good.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Overall, ..if you can wait for parts is https://www.rockauto.com/, but I agree with Roof's approach with parts.

I find the vast majority of parts people who are under 40 years old, been in the business less than 10 years really don't know much more than what their computer tells them. No capacity with crossover parts, product knowledge. You find those people in "big box" stores.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I get most of my parts at swap meets, hahaa most of my stuff is old & junky.
If I need some type of bracket or metal hanger thing I just make it. Measure think torch grind weld drill done.

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
How about from the pretty girl at gmpartsclub.com?
A site sponsor and GM parts. And, the prices seem pretty good to my Canadian wallet

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Well it depends on what I am looking for. IMO I dont like rock auto. Dont like there web sight. Only good for stock OE parts. I use both Orilly's. and Auto Zone, but I always ask for the better option. I never buy there cheap parts. I have used www.autopartswarehouse.com. There are good. I like www.sumitracing.com a lot for performance parts. But as mentioned here, it all depends on who is behind the counter at the local parts store. Like Rick, I don't care what the person looks like, just as long as they have some auto parts knowledge. I also found www.partsgeek.com recently. They have better prices than rockauto, but for OE parts, I usually use Orilley's or auto zone, and have even used the local Chevy dealer, and I have no problem going the the local junk yard as needed.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
When I really thought about it, my parts buying has changed. Most of my purchases Are online and from Amazon and Rock auto mostly and with LMC truck and specialty’s shops on occasion. But if there is any chance of a return or exchange or a core exchange, I go with brick & mortar stores that have the best price and return policy. I used to have an auto parts store preference, but the suits killed that by making everything the same regardless of the store. Plus they all carry the same parts from the same manufacturers. They all look alike and their personnel are equally clueless. Since everyone working there is clueless anyway, I try to go for the pretty girls. Of course, she’s usually quit before I get back for another purchase (hope I don’t have something to do with making the job suck). :cool:

·
Registered
650 Posts
That is almost like asking which which is the best firearm to buy.

I do not limit myself to one resource. What I look for is quality parts coupled with good prices. Sometimes that means going to AAP, NAPA or Olympic and other times going to Amazon, or other on-line parts supplier.

This requires research but the time and effort pays off.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I went to Advanced auto parts the other day to get some adhesive wheel weights for my aluminum wheels on my Equinox. The guy there had no idea what I was talking about and had to go ask the older guy in the back room. Came out and said they don't carry them. Went to Autozone. The guy there said we don't carry them.
Had to order on line if I wanted them. Apparently no one balances their own wheels anymore. My one tire/wheel was off by 1/4 oz because I changed the defective TPMS sensor as it was a superseded part and was slightly smaller. I guess tire shops/dealers are the only way to go anymore.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Siver, you go to tire shops for this part, ...not an auto parts store.

Some tire shops in America "spin balance" the tires for life for free if you buy the tires from them.

Really haven't paid for a balance job since the 70's

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Hi Rick. I did go to a tire shop and they refused to sell me any weights as they said they are for customers buying tires". I don't need tires ... just a 1/4 oz stick on weight. Apparently I'm not a customer to them then.
I will say this, when I do buy tires it won't be from them. ;)

·
Registered
650 Posts
I do not know anyone who balances their own wheels and that includes my brother-in-law who does all his own vehicle repairs.

Considering the sophistication of steering and suspension systems on vehicles today, I think I would rather trust the accuracy of a professional balancer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like Autozone as my BofA card gives me a 5 percent discount. Oreilly's is a good place too and they have a card you can use to save money.
So is Napa. With a AAA card you get a discount there too.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I "require" to buy good quality parts, ...if not I get bit*hed at for a failure. Don't like getting bit*hed at for being too cheap.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts