GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a great type of aftermarket shock for 97 Suburban Diesel 1500 2wd to use. I tried the Monroe® Sensa-Trac on my 96 Yukon 350 CI but have never been happy with the ruff ride. I had to install the Cadillac shackles from NAPA in order to get a smother ride. I’ve never been impressed with the results.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am looking at exchanging my shocks too. Which ones did you go with? I like Bilstein shocks. They are top of the line supposedly.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Not happy with Gabriel's

I bought my 93 K1500 used with Gabriel shocks. Too stiff for me. I've been a big fan of gas shocks. I have used KYB's on other vehicles and would consider them when I upgrade, but I'm open to suggestions. My burb is lifted 4" and has bigger tires/wheels. I use it offroad alot, so I definitely want a premium shock.

·
Registered
42 Posts
RE: Not happy with Gabriel

I just put the Bilsteins Heavy Duty on my K2500. Listprice of these is $122 a piece. The cheapest I found was AutoZone with $65 a piece for the front and $59 for the rear on special order. They made an unbelievable difference. My car handles and brakes completely different, there is no comparison to the stock ones. It rides even more comfortable than before. I cannot notice any difference anymore to the comfort and ride quality of a half ton. Worth every penny.
Andy

·
Registered
5 Posts
shocks....

does anyone know the differnce between Rancho, Skyjack, and Edelbrock shocks? from what i read, they all look pretty similar.... anyone have personal experiance with these?

·
Registered
4,151 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
anyone ever use any ranchero shocks? if so, how did they work for ya?
Years ago when I worked in a parts store, Rancho's were made by Tenneco (aka Monroe) I've never been a big fan of Monroe shocks, so I have never used Rancho shocks. I have used Koni's, Bilsteins and KYB's all which were great for each application.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you don't mind spending the money, I'd say give the Edelbrock IAS shocks a try. They are a bit pricey @ around $80-90 a shock, but I put them on my 89 r1500 2 wheel drive burb and could not believe the difference in ride quality, braking, AND handling. Normally you'd sacrifice ride quality for better handling on corners. Not the case with the Edelbrocks. You truly have the best of both worlds. I was lucky and found a complete set for my burb for around $200 that were still unopened in the box. Hope this helps

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bilstein Shocks

I have used Bilstein Shocks on a 1994 Dolphin Motorhome, our 1998 Suburban 1500 LT, and will replace the stock shocks on our 2002 Trans Am with Bilstein also. They are cheapest at AutoZone and take a couple days to get, but you will love them. Choice is "C" for comfort, or "HD" for heavy duty use.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I bought my 93 K1500 used with Gabriel shocks. Too stiff for me. I've been a big fan of gas shocks. I have used KYB's on other vehicles and would consider them when I upgrade, but I'm open to suggestions. My burb is lifted 4" and has bigger tires/wheels. I use it offroad alot, so I definitely want a premium shock.
I've never had trouble with Gab's but Rancho and KYB's are definitely good choices too. Maybe riding old harley's I've lost the feeling in my butt though?
Careful going too cheap you might regret it...but then again what does a Cable guy know...:whistle:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Rancho! :great:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Monroe Reflex

Any opinions on the new Monroe Reflex sensor shocks? Supposedly will "sense" road conditions and self adjust in well less than 1 second. $440 installed at my local dealer. Any other suggestions welcome. Use my Burb exclusively to pull my 8000# trailer about 6000 miles a year.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
I had Ranchos on my 4x4 2500 and swapped them for Bilsteins 5100's. Off-road the Ranchos performed better, but I drive this truck 25 miles a year off-road, the Bilsteins handle great on road and make a difference towing.
Rancho and Fab Tech are now subsidiary companies of 4 Wheel Parts Wholesales and manufacture their own products. I will say even though they come from the same manufacturer I dont like Fab Tech shocks at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am using SCITOO Shocks in my GMC Yukon. They can solve the vibration issues in my CAR. It is heavy-duty shocks with corrosion-resistant with long life.

If you want to upgrade your car shocks then I suggest you check it once before buying any shock.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Put Bilstein on my 06 Suburban 2500. Way better than Autoride. There’s a way you can disconnect Autoride without triggering a light. If you decide too let me know and I’ll walk you through it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
You can practically get four quality Bilsteins for the price of one Autoride shock. And again my truck rides better with the Bilsteins.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts