GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 GMC Sierra Z71
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a big road trip from Boston to Montana and back coming up in October. With my truck at about 95,000 miles right now, I am looking to service it, replace the shocks (with Bilstein 5100's!) and replace the brake pads and maybe rotors.

What opinions and facts do you all have as to which brand and type of brake pad and rotor would be best for stopping power, longevity and the minimum of brake dust?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Ya! Bilsteins! For brakes, I’ve had good luck with powerstops. Z36 kits to be exact, with cross drilled and slotted rust free rotors and ceramic/Kevlar blend pads. But if your rotors are good, I’d say just do pads. Any ceramic or Kevlar pad will fade less and produce less dust.

·
Registered
2014 GMC Sierra Z71
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information, Reb.

I looked into those Z36 brakes and was a little shocked by the price for 4 rotors and all the pads.. something like $422 on Amazon. Normally I buy cheap (insert auto parts store brand here) for my 20 year old Jeep or my 25 year old Bog Blazer, so that was some sticker shock. I hadn't had to buy brakes for a "new" car, or even a 5 year old car, since 2007. What do I know.

Yes...I was shocked at that price until I called my GMC dealer, who wanted $750 for the OE parts! I had to ask him again if that included labor. Nope. It does not include labor.

So it looks like I will be happily purchasing those Z36 brakes from Amazon in the not-too-distant future.

While I'm at it, the dealer wanted $180 per front shock, and $160 per rear, for the Z71.

Meanwhile Bilstein 5100's are $115 and $68 respectively. I will actually save enough on the brakes ro buy the shocks. So, I will be ordering those from KOLAK over at a Jeep forum. He is a dealer, I got my Iron Rock Offroad and Pro Comp stuff from him for my Jeep. Great guy to work with.

So I hope to do the brakes and the shocks all in one go and be done with it for maybe another 5 years.

Thanks Reb

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dont get the z36. They're probably great but if you don't need that huge performance then the lower tier powerstop will be good enough. I forget which model exactly but rockauto had the rotors, calipers and pads for 400CAD, which is what I'm getting when its time to upgrade.

·
Registered
2014 GMC Sierra Z71
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Making

I brought the truck to the dealer for the oil chance last month. As long as I'm nervous about the Active Fuel Management, I'll continue to do that...anyway it appears the rotors a nice and clean and fat. So I'll just be going with some new pads, as those are still serviceable but should be changed before winter.

I thought I might go with the Z36 because we were thinking about towing a travel trailer all the way out and into the Rockies and Yellowstone. We'll see, but thanks for the advice. Sometimes high performance is overkill.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Atta boy @ThundahBeagle. Smart. Just do pads when you need em. I upgraded bc I have 8000lbs of lifted truck to stop. Add in any towing, I’d be pushin thru the floor and pullin back on the steering wheel 😂😂😂

·
Registered
2014 GMC Sierra Z71
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eight thousand pounds?
Y-yikes. Though I suppose when mine is fully laden it's what, 7k? I dont know exactly, I'll have to check the sticker.

When the rotors need to be replaced, then I'll do the full Z36 pads and rotors. For now just the pads will do

Also, they fixed the low speed brake issue in the recall when I was last at the dealer. The pedal is much stiffer and responsive at low speeds now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts