GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 Silverado 4x4 needs a new set of brakes and I need shocks all the way around, the transfer case seal is leaking a little. 135,659 miles and the truck runs great! I’ve kept up with all the maintenance and fluid changes. I was going to trade up to another Silverado 1500 but there’s nothing the mater with this truck and I can’t justify 50k for a new or used Chevy when this truck gets 18-21mpg and 17 when I tow my boat. The body is a little rough but what hell, I only use it in the spring summer and fall for playtime. I bought it with 5,000 miles on it, sight unseen on the internet. The seller had no idea why he bought a truck? It sat in his garage in Minnesota until his wife threatened to divorce him! Anyway, I was there to pick up the pieces and get a smokin deal for this red gem! My 2nd one in 23 years, they are by far the best trucks on the road. I have an aftermarket ASC intake and a Gibson cat-back 3” exhaust. This extended cab red Chevy has a matching topper with red and black “Wet Okole” neoprene seat covers. The truck flat out flies up the Mt passes in Colorado even towing my riverboat! Besides, my 12 year old daughter wants it. So I’m going to keep it and do the stuff it needs. Truthfully, there’s not that much the truck needs. The aftermarket upgrades for the parts I need and want aren’t going to cost as much as I had estimated! My question is there’s way to much stuff out there and I’m a little mixed up about the brakes I want. The stock application went 135,659, I just wanna replace them with the same system but everyone I talk to says, upgrade? No. The stock AC Delco brakes are fine and inexpensive. Never ever had a problem with them.
The shocks are toast, I’m definitely going to replace them with the 4600 Bilstein because they bolt right on with no extra brackets or lift which I don’t need or want.
Transfer-case seal should not be a problem.
If anyone out there has any input to change my mind I’d sure like to hear it. Sorry about the long winded history but this trucks going to be around for a while. Besides the funniest thing ever is a standard black poodle in a life jacket waiting to go rafting on the Colorado River with my daughter.
My kid loves the truck as well.
Any ideas? Please help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
About 5 years ago I put new pads on our 99 Silverado and I used AutoZone's Duralast Max Semi-Metallic pads for both the front and rear. A friend of mine recommended them to me based on his positive experiences with them. I had zero problems installing them, they came with all the hardware I needed along with a packet of grease for each set of pads. I like them better than the Wagner ThermoQuiet's they replaced. Good strong braking with no fade, no noise and I haven't noticed much brake dust from them either.

Nice thing about the AutoZone Duralast Max pads is they come with a lifetime warranty. If the pads ever get noisy, Autozone will replace them. If the pads wear down, they'll replace them (Autozone's policy). I was told that by the store manager, and I have also read it on several other forums. They'll likely be the last pads I'll ever have to pay for. I even wound up putting them on our 04 TrailBlazer as well, and again, I really like them.

I must say, I was rather disappointed with the Wagner Thermoquiet pads I put on both the Silverado and TrailBlazer. All the pads wore out much sooner than I would have thought. I have no complaints about the ACDelco pads on the TrailBlazer, they wore quite well, but on the 99 Silverado, they wore out way too soon, and I read in a couple of places that on the 99 Silverados, factory pads were horrible due to their wearing out prematurely.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, your 99 Silverado brakes were terrible! I had a 2000 Silverado with the same brake system and they wore out within 25k? My mechanic recommended an aftermarket EBC brake system that went another 70k. It was adequate and I installed at another 70k the same EBC brake system. I drove that 2000 Silverado for 13 years until 287k when I sold it and purchased the 2011. This Silverado continues to amaze me? Now at 135k I’m keeping the 2011 and continuing with the brake upgrade and shocks, as well as the transfer case seal. A small price to pay for a great truck without buying another new Silverado. It’s just a toy and I’ll have it for years to come. So will my daughter and the poodle in the life vest waiting impatiently to go to the river!

·
Registered
8 Posts
The first set of brakes I put on the 99 Silverado I changed everything (except) for the master cylinder) - pads, calipers, emergency brake shoe and rotors. Braking was improved, but I did not get the mileage I thought I would. Had to replace pads and calipers in 2015 and this time I went with the AutoZone Duralast Max Semi-Metallics. Much happier! The truck does not get a lot of mileage only 30,000 miles on it. Factory brakes wore out at 23,000 miles. Wagner ThermoQuiets wore out in 5,000 miles. No, I don't ride the brakes, just plain soft pads. I'm wondering now if I got counterfeit pads despite the fact that I purchased them from the #1 regional parts house in the Delaware, Maryland area.

Also, only one of the four Wagner calipers had a stuck piston - the other 3 were fine.

We really love our 99 Silverado. Other than the brake pads and front door speakers blowing out, have not had any trouble with it. Runs great and rides even better - my wife tends to fall asleep when we are on the road with it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts