GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the best mud tire for the highway and onroad handling(now i know mud tires arent made for onroad obviously but just humor me), i do alot of highway driving and i love the look of mud tires so if there are any mud tires that perform exceptionally well on the road let me know, just ordered some 2" lift coils today so soon i will order bigger and badder tires(probably 33")

·
Registered
82 Posts
On my DD Jeep, I have the Procomp XMT and they are pretty decent on the road. They do make some noise, but after all, it is a mud tire.

Since you do a lot of highway driving, I'd go with an all-terrin tire. A mud tire is way too soft, thus would not last that long. I haven't read anything about them, but maybe the procomp xtreme A/T they have a more agressive tread pattern than the regular a/t's and they still carry a 40k mile tread warranty. For A/t tires though, you can't go wrong with BFG's

Another thing to consider is how big (tire size) are you going? You might need to do your gears which is $$$$$$$

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I like my General Grabber AT2. They're good in the mud and snow and quiet on the road. I know people say their cheaply made but I haven't had any problems with them. Plus for my 265's I payed 109 a tire. :neutral:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'd go with the BFG All Terrain or the Nitto Grapplers for AT's. Muds I'd say Procomp Xtreme At or Kumho KL72. I love the look of the Kumho's.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was recommended ProComp Mud Terrain. Supposed to be pretty good on wet asphalt too. No experience of my own, though.

But they look very potent!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Oh, nearly forgot, for a mudder, you might also want to check out the Truxus MT, I have read that they hold up pretty good on the street. Truxus is made by Interco tire corp which also makes the super swamper.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Everyone I've talked to hates Procomp with a fiery passion. Most of them are into Rock Crawling and drive cherokee's. Their main complaint is that the sidewalls are weak and are prone to failure. I have no experience with them, that's just what I've heard.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If your looking for an A/T tire, my new truck has Uniroyal Liberator A/T's. They handle great on the road, are very quiet for an A/T and get great traction wet or dry. I have not tried them out off-road yet but they have a decent tread pattern so I'm sure they'll do fine for what I need them to do on my 2wd. I don't know how many miles they will hold up but they're rated for 50K. Unfortunately they can only be bought at Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Everyone I've talked to hates Procomp with a fiery passion. Most of them are into Rock Crawling and drive cherokee's. Their main complaint is that the sidewalls are weak and are prone to failure. I have no experience with them, that's just what I've heard.

Any radial tire is gonna suck a$$ for rock crawling. On my CJ and all of the other folks I wheel with we all use bias ply tires.

I don't think that the o/p wants to play in the rocks with his truck. In my opinion, the procomp Xtreme M/T's are great on the trail (not rocks) and they do have a 3ply sidewall which makes it a bit sturdier.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
A lot of the guys I know love the cooper STT's and the Maxxis Creepy Crawler. I don't think they would run very well on the highway. For regular driving and basic offroading I would probably get the Procomps.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I like Maxxis tires, but they don't last on the road. Never run a set of coopers, but I always hear good things about them.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
If your goin for a mud tire and dont mind payin a tiny bit more go for the goodyear wrangler MT'R.... i have them on my truck right now in 285/75 and i get through whatever i throw at it..... mud sand, dirt and ESPECIALLY snow.... they are the best snow tire i have ever driven. I love driving with them in the snow cuz if I slip the tiniest bit they hook right back up and can go through some deep snow too.. they will go through anything off road.... on road, road noise is actually pretty decent for a mud tire... i have had them for 30,000 miles now and have at least 10,000-15000 miles left on them (just keep them rotated every 5,000 or so and could definatly go more than that.) in the rain i have never lost control or anything and i always feel in control.
Now before the mtr's i had BFG AT and they were not that bad either but nothing compared to the MT'R. Once they got low tread i was alover the road wiht them but they were still a decent tire and would def recommend them... If you are looking for an AT go for Nitto terra grapplers..... ive heard they are great on and off road, wear great, and are cheap.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I ran BFG M/T on my 96 & 97 4wd Duallys. Did well on the road, and did real well off-road. They didn't hydro-plane on wet pavement, and did well in the snow. The M/T's are fairly quiet until they get about 2/3's worn. They also have a good speed rating( not that I EVER broke the speed limit). I put 65XXX on the BFG's, before needing to change. The only reason that they were gone then was because I pulled a gooseneck with IFS. Never could get the alignment to go good both empty and toting. Got a set of Kumho A/T's and was pleased with them on the street. Quiet and smooth. The reason I went with Kumho's was , because they were cheap and it was a lease truck. But, to each their own..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts