GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

First winter with my Silverado and a vehicle with chrome and thanks to our Canadian winters theres some salt/calcium build up on the chrome portion of the running boards.

Was just wondering what everyones go to product was to get it clean and give back its new truck shine!

·
Registered
16,218 Posts
I think the best is just a high pressure wash, well medium pressure, don't damage anything, followed up with a good lint free drying and when sure it's dry, some wax

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
metal plating on GM vehicles will not hold up on rock salt ..
on my 2000 silverado the metal bumpers are still looking good .. I put silicone on my chrome bumpers and on my rims .protects from road de-icing ..
many new GM trucks and dodge trucks have a lot of rust on the body ...sheet metal..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
metal plating on GM vehicles will not hold up on rock salt ..
on my 2000 silverado the metal bumpers are still looking good .. I put silicone on my chrome bumpers and on my rims .protects from road de-icing ..
many new GM trucks and dodge trucks have a lot of rust on the body ...sheet metal..

Is it a wax with silicone in it? Sorry usually its my husband doing the cleaning, i'm just doing the research :p Already have mud guards but it doesn't prevent much with how yucky our roads get.

·
Registered
16,218 Posts
I think he's talking preventative, using it as a cover in the fall.
I've known guys to cover all chrome with Vaseline in the fall, a big job to remove in the spring.

Don't over think this, soap and water, a good wax when dry, happy truck.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Is it a wax with silicone in it? Sorry usually its my husband doing the cleaning, i'm just doing the research :p Already have mud guards but it doesn't prevent much with how yucky our roads get.
I put after market mud guards, the one I installed are wider and lower and reduces the slop on the sheet metal and frame.
I put mud guard on my 1996 Impala in nov 1995 .. still working and no damage on the paint/sheet metal.
2000 GM truck no mud guards on it , so I installed them in 2000 .. still working .
I got a toyota truck in 2016 and I removed the plastic mud guards ,,installed the fiberglass guards.. not gonna break and are wider and lower no issues.

car wash companies reuse water so that is why I do not go to a car wash ...I use a car soap with a wax in it to protect the paint chrome. MEGUIAR'S GOLD CAR WASH SOAP .. WORKS FOR DECADES..

·
Registered
2012 Silverado 2WD, LT, LMG engine, All stock. 84,000 miles. A Florida truck, zero rust.
725 Posts
I've used all three products all they all work pretty good. The Flitz is like toothpaste and works like a cleaning compound. It's a small tube so it's good to use on chrome lettering with a toothbrush, I even use it to rub off marks on the paint. My brother in law uses it to clean his chrome plated firearms. Eagle One nevr-dull I've been using since I bought my 2012 Silverado new. I have chrome wheels. It's not abrasive but uses a wadding material and cleans extremely well. Quick Glo is new and I used it once. Great for rust removal and little or no abrasive material. I found it on a Jay Leno video.
Bottle Shelf Liquid Drinkware Shelving

1 - 10 of 10 Posts