GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok....both the truck and the car are going to need new tires soon.

Normally I would go with the norm and get a good type of goodyear for both...but apparently there are better tires out there.

I have done extensive research on tires, mostly at tirerack, and have the current two in mind.

Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor (truck)
Goodyear F1 All Season (car)

I might be taking the truck into some inclement weather soon, but regardless of that, I need a tire that can perform well in ALL weather situations.

As for the car, its gonna stay in FL most likely, so excellent wet driving performance, along with excellent dry performance would be great.

Truck 265-70R17
Car 215-50R17

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
for the truck I might recommend some BFG AT's. Everyone I've ever met said they love the tire and it handles great in all weather conditions. There a little bit expensive but I believe they're worth it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not sure about the car tires...but you're definitely ok with the goodyear silent armor tires. I have the Fortera silent armors. Not sure what the difference is, if any, between Wrangler and Fortera. Mine are great. The way they handle rain and snow are great.

Good luck and :sign0016:

·
Registered
270 Posts
For truck my vote is for the michelin cross terrain . I had these on my 02 chevy avalanche and loved them. great in rainy weather and off road lets just say i didnt need to put the truck in 4x4. Plus I put 40k miles on it and the tires still looked almost like new. As for the car I also go michelins long lasting tread ware cant go wrong. When I used to sell tires mich would be #1 and then would come BFGs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Michelin Cross Terrain Tires Are The Best!

I highly recommend the Michelin Cross Terrain tires. Michelin is the highest quality tire sold on the market today, (was told this by several tire companies including Sears) and the Cross Terrain is the best passenger tire that they make. I have a 2000 Silverado and I recently put those tires on it. Keep in mind that I do not use my truck for off roading or anything like that. It is strictly a commuter truck. As soon as I put the tires on I noticed a tremendous difference. It handles better in wet conditions and it improves the overall ride. My 2000 Silverado now rides and handles better than my friends 2005 Eddie Bauer expedition. I would never put anything other than a Michelin on my vehicle. Trust me, you will be happy with Michelin Cross Terrains.

·
Registered
9 Posts
For the truck i would recomend cooper atr's they are great in the snow and on we have them on all of the trucks i work at they clean out GREAT in the snow and mud and i am about to buy some for my truck soon

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Did you go with the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor (truck) and Goodyear F1 All Season (car) tires?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nope. not yet for either. tires have been put on hold for not being imminent and for minor financial issues that have come to surface.

chosen the F1s for the sebring...

just got new tripletreds for the bonneville...

and still between the silent armors and the scorpions for the truck.

more recommendations are still welcome.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I would go with the silent armors over the scorpians just from what i have heard.... I know people who have the wrangler silent armors and say they are great... You can never go wrong with the BFG AT either... oh and PIRELLI scorpian ATR are not that great but the COOPER discoverer ATR are good tires

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
You want to save money go with pathfinder AT they come off the same line as the wranglers do and they have the same tread pattern as the BFG AT. I have them on my burban and my sister has them on here blazer they are great. Mine are 6-ply and are pretty quiite on the road and offer deep lugs with good self cleaning, and the best part is i paid 120 a tire at a goodyear shop for 285/75/16 that are made by goodyear and have a great pattern for $90 less then the bfg or goodyear no advertising costs!!!:great:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm new to the truck thing but so far I love my TOYO tires. They last forever and they do awesome on the street, in the rain, snow, whatever... although I have gotten stuck in soft sand and slid down a mud bank; but like I said.. newbie

I used to use Michelin on my camaro's, corvette's and they were awesome. They make sweet and sticky motorcycle tires too. FYI

·
Registered
48 Posts
for the avalanche use bfg commercial tires. this is primarily due the the avalanche's heavy weight. the stiffer sidewalls of the bfg commercial tires make it handle like a vette.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I would go with Mickey Thompsons. They have good load capacities and i love mine

·
Registered
270 Posts
well my origanal vote was for mich. cross tr. but that was stock size and on my 02 avalanche which was heaver than my 05 avalanche but now on my 05 i went nitto grapplers 295s and with all the rain we just had hands down a great tire.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i know i do but do you guy's with the 1500 avalanche's have to run E weight rated tires? my avalanche tops the scales at 6950lbs. what do the 1500's weigh in at?

·
Registered
270 Posts
i know i do but do you guy's with the 1500 avalanche's have to run E weight rated tires? my avalanche tops the scales at 6950lbs. what do the 1500's weigh in at?
it all depends on the yr. my 02 z71 was over 5k and my 05 z71 is under 5k so its alot lighter. as for load rating i have E load rated tires its supposed to get better miles than D from what i was told so we will see.

·
Registered
15 Posts
+1 for the Silent Armors... I've had them for about 10k miles and so far, the wear is very minimal. And even with the tread design, they ride very quiet. They handle very well on the road and are also at home off road. The size I have is 275x55/20. I'd definitely get these again. However, I'm always open to trying other makes... Here are some others I'd consider:

1. Nitto Terra Grappler
  2. Cooper Zeon LTZ
  3. Toyo Open Country AT
  4. BFG T/A KO
  5. Pro Comp Radial AT
Good luck with your decision....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts