GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just wondering what most people do to black out they're rear bumper? Paint the chrome? or a whole new bumper? If you painted it what did you do? any special method for painting chrome, thanks.

Cheers,

Matt.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
***BUMP***
wondering the same thing... would love to do that to mine and the front bumper too... both of them chrome

·
Registered
400 Posts
any special method for painting chrome
Sand all the chrome off before you paint it..

The panels on the rear bumper are removable though so you can take them off, sand, and paint without worry about masking off the rest of the bumper. Or if you really wanted to you can buy replacement panels instead of the chrome ones that are in a black primer so you'd just have to paint them, but I think the only way I've seen those is with the holes for the backup sensors. They were over $100 each the last time I looked though so if yours aren't dented or anything like that its much cheaper to reuse what you have.

·
Registered
593 Posts
If you do it yourself, sand the chrome until it's really hazy and use a good etching primer. Sand again, paint and clear. Then wet sand, compound and polish. It's actually pretty easy to do if you take your time.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
That's a good question

·
Registered
57 Posts
i used plastidip and bought the same color paint as my truck. applied 2 layers of plastidip on bumper and grill, let it sit 2 days then spryed 2 coats of white with spray gun not spray paint. followed up with some nice clear coat. i have one chip and its from hitting a small deer

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Lets see some pics!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Yeah i'm really thinking about getting my Rear and Front Bumper done to color match in black. Also want the tow mirrors painted color matched and the grille i'll pass getting a 1 piece black mesh grille and sell the stock one. Anyone have proper steps of painting the bumpers? Also how many days would this take?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah i'm really thinking about getting my Rear and Front Bumper done to color match in black. Also want the tow mirrors painted color matched and the grille i'll pass getting a 1 piece black mesh grille and sell the stock one. Anyone have proper steps of painting the bumpers? Also how many days would this take?
199276_10150208516077519_542102518_9089819_2083540_n.jpg 200134_10150208515237519_542102518_9089809_2725867_n.jpg 188637_10150208514912519_542102518_9089804_4618216_n.jpg 200404_10150208343492519_542102518_9087421_4490952_n.jpg

make sure all surfaces are clean. and the conditions are right if your doing it outside

Attachments

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
damn man looks really good! What kind of PAINT did you use? Also what kind of PRIMER and CLEAR COAT? Oh and what process did you use to sand the chrome down along with the grits for each step? How long did it take you to finish?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Hey Rockstarr check out Duplicolor shadow black chrome. I started a thread about black chrome. When I did I was thinking about guys like you who are going for the all black look.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Yeah i was thinking about that myself but it's too late to paint with it now maybe if i need to repaint them but want be anytime soon.

·
Registered
593 Posts
make sure all surfaces are clean. and the conditions are right if your doing it outside
Nice work!

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

Here you go. I basically did the same thing, but I'm too lazy to type it all out.

Nnbs Silverado Painting Rear Chrome Bumper Black - GM-Trucks.com=

·
Registered
113 Posts
I painted mine on the truck over 2 years ago and the plastic under it.
removed the grill covered the rest
lite sanding 400G ( do not damage the chrome)
clean with ammonia
prime, single stage finish

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
That looks good man!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
looks legit!

·
Registered
57 Posts
damn man looks really good! What kind of PAINT did you use? Also what kind of PRIMER and CLEAR COAT? Oh and what process did you use to sand the chrome down along with the grits for each step? How long did it take you to finish?
thanks and there is no sanding or etching of the chrome the plastidip adheres to it. it took me a couple days because i let it each color sit for a while. the paint and clear coat are from house of colors.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
I like the fact that you don't have to sand the chrome!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
thanks and there is no sanding or etching of the chrome the plastidip adheres to it. it took me a couple days because i let it each color sit for a while. the paint and clear coat are from house of colors.
So you used plastidip and then used paint and clear coat and were done that easy? That sounds like somethin i might do myself one day! I have a air compressor and ebay has good deals on Paint guns that i could get for like $40 or less the HVLP ones that is i just gotta find out ther name of the compressor and the hose size and HP it has before i buy one.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I was thinking about doing the same thing to my truck but in white. im also likeing the plastidip idea

1 - 20 of 30 Posts