GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced the driver side blend door actuator twice with after-market parts. Usually it works, but occasionally the door shifts on its own from cold to hot. Sometimes it will shift back while I am driving. Sometimes it shifts back while the truck is parked overnight.
Question: Do I need to get the OEM part, or is it possible that the problem is in the console switch or in the computer?
Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
The door could be sticking.
Remove the actuator and try to turn the post with your fingers.
If it turns easy, it's probably poor quality parts.
Last time I was on Rock Auto I looked up that actuator (for my truck), the ACDelco were about 3 times more expensive than the "economy" actuators.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The door could be sticking.
Remove the actuator and try to turn the post with your fingers.
If it turns easy, it's probably poor quality parts.
Last time I was on Rock Auto I looked up that actuator (for my truck), the ACDelco were about 3 times more expensive than the "economy" actuators.
Ray:
Thanks for the quick response. The door turns easily without any particular friction spots or hard sticking spots. So do you think the ACDelco part will solve my problem? I just wondered whether there could be a problem in the console or the computer. What do you think?

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
163 Posts
I would start with a quality blend door. I cannot tell from your post if the temp value on your climate control module is changing (the number on the front).

If you have the twist-style climate control panel and the temp value IS changing when this door jumping happens, the internals could be wearing on the module, causing the jump in temp setting. If this is the case, you may be able to get the knobs off and clean the connections behind it so the rheostat doesn't read as turning from intermittent connection. Or you may need a new module... I need a new one for our 04 Burb because the knob is worn and won't allow us to change the temp.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts