GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had enough of the sag. I just bought a set of 2.5 inch lift blocks for my 95 suburban. They were $50 with shipping but didnt come with U-bolts. I am unfamiliar with how they install. I know that I will have to get new U bolts but is there anything else that I need to buy? Did I screw up/would it have been better to have just gotten a kit? Oh I also purchased a shorty antenna, a tree took care of my old one.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
You need new U bolts, nuts, and washers. A local spring shop should be able to help out and either make a pair or have something on hand. Bring the truck and the blocks when you visit so they can measure to get the right fit.

Personally I hate lift blocks. Lift blocks create axle wrap by using leverage against the spring. You may notice a thumping when taking off or stopping, this will be the spring wrapping and unwrapping. Chevy trucks run 63inch springs which are a very popular retrofit for other makes of trucks because of their length and flexibility. In your case this length and flexibility will work against you by making the springs more susceptable to axle wrap when you add a lift block to them.

A better solution would be an "Add A Leaf" or a "helper leaf".

I dont recommend longer shackles either. While you gain desired length they too place added leverage on the springs. Shackles place leverage at the end of the spring and in a very short amount of time they'll cause the spring to sag even more than it does now.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I agree with 10.......I would look at your leaf spring situation, before I would use lift blocks. My 89 has 5000lb over springs and I have never had a problem since installing them. I towed a 32' travel trailer.

The other thing to think about, are you having "sag" unloaded or loaded? if loaded you may want to use a weight distributing hitch.

Think about the leaf over springs, maybe a little more money, but a much better ride and performance.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the sag is unloaded. If it only sagged when I towed I would have no problem with it. I knew about the axle wrap but I'm only putting in 2.5 inch blocks so I'm hoping it won't be too bad. Does anyone know the size of the axle tube for the suburban?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ditto here, I just replaced my springs and got rid of the blocks. Do not use blocks to correct sag! Your springs sag because they are fatigued, and the best way to correct them is to replace them.
If you insist on having blocks however, they are very easy to install. You will need new U-bolt kits, as tb mentioned, kit includes nuts and washers. Since they are self-locking washers, I highly recommend new ones! And a torque wrench is your best friend.
And your Axle tube should be 3".
Hope this helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts