GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have given up look for wire diagram and trying figure out how to wire the aftermarket resistors i am a mechanic and before i get any crap i have tried all i know and still not working. So i have bought multiple blower resistors and blowers picked up ones from scrap yard that matched my truck is a 2001 2500hd chevy v8 the factory harnes has only 3 wires but every aftermarket on i buy has 7 with no instructions one of them actually only had black and white wires nothing makes sense some on has happen to come across this problem before any help help in appreciated first two pics what i could find of the factory one and then others are the one in stock at autoparts stores

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
is it possible that your truck has a previous models parts? sure it could happen, especially with it being a 2500. try looking up a previous model to see if it looks right.

·
Registered
16,218 Posts
The 3 wire are the auto HVAC (set the temp and forget), the 7 wire are the manual controlled HVAC (you dial/slide the temp you want).
The auto does not use speed resistors, it uses a transistor, field effect transistor that lets you change the output which changes the motor speed.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
973-409 dorman on my 2000 LT silverado with manual AC/heater control.. I replaced it a decade ago still working...
I purchased my 2000 in feb 2000 and I setup my truck when manufactured. I did not want the HVAC computer controlled ... manual HVAC when I did the truck factory spec...purchase..got it in april 2000.. took 8 weeks .
many do have silicon devices controlling the hvac system ..hot/cold and voltage spikes kills the semiconductors ..capacitors fail also ...

·
Registered
16,218 Posts
The only thing I can add j cat, is that resistors and relays fail as well

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
The only thing I can add j cat, is that resistors and relays fail as well
the OEM GM resistors are not water proof .the after market resistors are water proof and I replace the air filters and drop the blower motor and inspect any mess or rodent ..I do it after the pollen is a fallen ..in late june ..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts