GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here is the situation,I am trying to restore my grandfathers 78 burb. I just noticed that there are rust holes in the roof that go all the way through. I have never restored a vehical and could use some advice on the best way to fix the problem. unfortunatly at this time money is a concern. The lagest hole is about the size of a 2 litter bottle(the bottom). I am fairly good with fiberglass and have worked with bondo a little in the past, I also have a small mig welder. Any help would be great?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
You should be able to buy the whole roof at the junkyard cheap. Cut the old one off and weld the new one in place. You may have to replace the windshield rubber, but you can get that from LMCtruckparts for $50. Otherwise, a fiberglass patch and some bondo to smooth things out will do in a pinch.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
I agree with unplugged buy a new to you roof at a local recycle yard.
Depending on where the rust is you may be able to reskin the roof without having to cut into the door and windshield support post's, try to retain the stock roof bows on the inside.
If you do have to cut the door and windshield posts weld positioning bars in place to hold everthing in position before you cut the roof off.
When welding the new top in place use 1/2" to 3/4" tack welds every 6" to prevent warpage. Theres a product called "Cold Weld" that's sprayed on the area your welding it reduces the heat in that area to prevent warpage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there was a roof rack and like 3 metal strips the rust is basicaly wher the strips were screwed down. I dont think at this point I have the ability for a roof swap so I was thinking about just some sheet metal patches. thanks for all the advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts