GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my y pipe is well, flat on the bottom from bottoming out off roading. I have got to believe that thats definitely hurting performance, since the pipe is now smaller inside.

Does anybody make after market y pipes? I need something that will be 50 state legal.

Or is it better to just buy the bends and weld my own system up. If I do, do that would it be beneficial to go with a slightly larger diameter tubing? Also, at that point could I do a true dual exhaust system? (I would be welding from the cats back and leaving the sensors in tact....)

Next questions, I do plan on doing a exhaust system, intake and programmer. Of the 3 what makes the biggest difference in terms of HP/fuel economy? I cant afford to do it all at once, so which would be the best to do first?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm not sure if anybody makes any besides having a muffler shop doing one for you. I would go that route. Larger diameter pipe might help if you plan on doing some desent mods later on but I wouldn't worry about that.
I would do exhaust first(just to fix your problem and to have a good sound going), then do an intake. If the programmer is something like Superchips or Hypertech then do that last because they are designed to take advantage of a vehicle that already has exhaust and intake(basic mods). I got a mpg or two better once I used my Hypertech, but that was after exhaust and intake. The intake helped my throttle response a good bit, and so will the bored throttle body that I'm about to order.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yep that is the order to go in. I would highly suggest that you put on some LT headers and Dual HFC"S you oxygen sensors will be installed on these as well. A true dual exhaust with an H-pipe is what I would do. For the intake I would do a Volant with ram air tube as the first choice or K&N as the second choice. I would not bother with a handheld tuner go with a custom tune after the mods you will gain more mpg's and performance as they can do far more than a handheld. I will be doing a Nelson custom tune when I get my LT's on. www.nelsonperformance.com

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
what kind of truck is this going on?? i know magnaflow makes a Y-pipe and cat combo for my generation trucks (the 88-98) that is around $225

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what kind of truck is this going on?? i know magnaflow makes a Y-pipe and cat combo for my generation trucks (the 88-98) that is around $225
06 1500, 4x4, 5.3

1 - 5 of 5 Posts