GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...somewhere there's got to be a website that breaks down the VIN as to date manufactured, options, etc. Anyone got the links. Thanks. This is my first "Bourban" (2000) it's the BEST vehicle I've ever owned. Well designed, engineered and manufactured, even after 100K miles it's still like new.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
RE: "Bourbanites" ....looking for VIN ID breakdown

My new manual from haneys for the burb doesnt list the decoder, on the other hand my fiero's vin decoder says,

first no. is nation of origin 1 usa, 2 canada
2nd position is manufacturer G General Motors
3rd pos. make and type
4th and 5th pos. series and model codes
6th & 7th pos. body type
8th pos. engine code
9th pos. check digit, should be last number of the year built @ 1999 would be 9, 2000 would be 0
10th pos. should be a letter code for the year.
11th pos. should be plant codes, where your vehicle was assembled
the last sig pos. will be the plant sequence code. what number it was off the assembly line at that plant

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts

if you want the brake down you are looking for you need to look at the label in the glove box. that has every option put in that truck, date of build and more. but someone here found that gm will send you a work sheet or something i forget help me guys, i'm having a senior moment.

G

·
0 Posts

The restoration packets:
http://www.chevysuburbanclub.com/tctc/csc/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-92.phtml

I just got my packet in yesterday, and I have to say I'm kind of disappointed. It looks like it's a order kit for that year.
It gives the breakdown of all available order options for my year's 'burban, in all trim levels, and weight class. It does offer a lot of good information on vehicle, engine, and tranny specs, but if you're looking at this packet with virtually no knowledge of your vehicle it would probably confuse more than help.
I'm a little confused about why I even gave my VIN to get this packet since it's so broad based. (maybe I got the wrong thing....) :?

You're better off to see if you still have your glove box sticker.

84fiero, I don't think you were having a senior moment so much as falling asleep in that comfy computer chair you made! :D

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts

maybe both but i think more senior moment. memory is shot since my stroke last dec.
sorry to hear that the packet for your older burb wasnt what we expected. i was going to call for one on my 94 but now after what you got i really dont think its worth my trouble.

G

·
0 Posts

I'm probably going to scan the sheets and post it in the gallery, provided Steve doesn't mind the space being used for that. It's for the '93 year, but I doubt much changed between the '92-'94 years, as far as ordering goes. Since they were all pretty much the same body style, and options.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
zap away. The database isn't all that big. I've got about 500 MB left on my account before I have to shell out another $5/month for an extra GB.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I also got the restoration packet for the '95 if anybody needs anything from that one. I also was expecting something a little more specific to my actual vehicle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have paper copies of the VIN breakdown, but dont have the time to type it all. if you dont mind posting your VIN i can break it down for your specific vehicle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
the "1" indicates US built, the "G" means general motors, "K" is gmc multi passenger vehicle, "F" is 7001-8000 GVWR and hydraulic brakes, "K" is conventional cab(meaning fullsize, not compact) GMT 400 4x4, "1" is 1/2 ton, "6" is suburban, "K" is the LO5 5.7 liter v8 with TBI produced in the US, "2" is just a checj digit to take up space, "S" means 1995, "J" is the plant at which your truck was built, which was the Janesville Wi. truck and bus plant and the rest are the production sequence numbers meaning that your truck was the 748,639 truck built that year. hope that helps you out.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks for decoding, There must be some software method for this also. When I was looking at the keyless entry stuff, several webpages had a spot to drop in your vin and they were able to determine if the vehicle was equiped with keyless entry.

If I can find the API set I will try and get that working so we can have a link to it here.

·
Registered
42 Posts
they were able to determine that you had keyless entry because your vin is tagged to the rpo list (or build sheet)for each vehicle. dealers can tell you that info thru your vin because when they punch in your vin to GM's server the rpo list comes up, along with service history, open recall's etc. Any other site that can tell you that info has to have access to that info from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
VIN Decoding

first off i'd like to say whats up to all my fellow suburban owners i own a 1992 chevy suburban it is my first one it's always been my dream vehicle especially since i have a wife and seven (7) kids it runs great i've only had it a few months and it has truly lived up to it's reputation as a helluva truck but i'd like to post my VIN# and see if you guys can answer some of the questions i have 1GNEC16K0NJ302201
1. is this a c1500 model or k1500
2. is the block iron from the LQ chevy engine line
3. does anyone know where to get replacement rear door panels
ckresto.com has the front ones and other stuff
thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
1. In the truck line, the 5th digit indicates 2wd or 4wd. yours is a 2wd as shown by the C. Full size trucks blazers and suburbans use C or K for 2 or 4wd. S series trucks and blazers use S for 2wd and T for 4wd. With the Astro vans, M and L designate 2 or 4wd. Back into the seventies even C was used for 2wd and K for 4wd. The only exception is from 1987 to 1991, fullsize trucks and utilities that are the older 73-87 body style used R for 2wd and V for 4wd because in 88 the 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks changed to the 88-98 body style and the C-K designation was used for these vehicles.
2. the 8th digit is K which is the 5.7 liter (350) with throttle body injection.
and 3. try LMC truck parts. They have nearly everything for your truck or sub

1 - 18 of 18 Posts