GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 2500HD with about 60,000 miles on it. The brake pads are >5mm and the rotors are in decent shape. When I come to a stop, just before it actually stops rolling, it feels like the brakes let up a little bit. It's literally the last foot or two of rolling, and it's more noticeable under more aggressive braking, though almost always noticeable. It doesn't happen unless I've been up to road speed; it doesn't happen when just slowly repeatedly pulling up a little bit like in a drive-through line. Any ideas what might cause this? It feels like the pedal doesn't really move, but it's like a minor feeling of the brakes going out.

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
so you are the original owner of the 2004 ? 60K miles on it is odd..
you have to check the caliper pins because of the rubber seals break down ... then you must use silicone brake grease to lube those cal pins. also check that the brake pads will move easy in the the calipers.. also when you drive the truck several miles check that the hubs get hot ...that can be the binding pads ..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I just got the truck recently, and the first thing I did was get new tires, and had the service garage replace the coolant, trans fluid, and brake fluid while I was laid up with a back surgery. I plan to dig into the brakes soon as I'm on the mend, and will give the pins a good look. There doesn't seem to be any binding of the pads - I once bought a used Avalanche that did that the second day I had it, and the rotor read 600° with a non contact IR thermometer! Kinda a pisser to do a brake job on the second day of ownership - nothing was greased; I ended up doing all four corners and found the same all the way around.

The weird thing with this one is that it stops very well and has good pedal feel, right up until the very last half second. I don't have any concern in the short term as it is literally the last foot or two of stopping, it's just got me stumped. I've had a bunch of 2500HDs, and haven't ever experienced this before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts