GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 Chevy Silverado two door 2 Wheel Dr. with a 5.7 L V-8. I am having problems with my tail lights and brake light staying on together. Brake lights will not work at all until I turn on running lights or headlights then brake lights and tail lights are illuminated together. Weird thing is that my third brake light on the cab still works just like it should. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,424 Posts
Check the board beneath the truck bed where all the wires come together for corrosion or bent pins. This would be a common component in the tail lights and brake lights independent of the 3rd brake light.

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,747 Posts
The center high mount stop lamp is driven independently from the tail lights. It’s a separate relay powered from the same set of contacts in the pedal brake switch.

Also, make sure the proper lamps are in the housing. If I recall correctly, the backup lamp and the top lamp should be the same single element 3156, and the brake/signal center position bulb should be a dual element 3157.

Edit: while you’re back there, grab yourself a 13mm wrench and check/clean the ground strap on the driver side frame rail just ahead of the bumper brackets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check the board beneath the truck bed where all the wires come together for corrosion or bent pins. This would be a common component in the tail lights and brake lights independent of the 3rd brake light.
I can not locate a board under my truck where they are connected

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Should be behind (possibly above) the spare tire beneath the bed. Between the bumper and the spare in the middle. The pigtail for the trailer wires will go to it, also.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Should be behind (possibly above) the spare tire beneath the bed. Between the bumper and the spare in the middle. The pigtail for the trailer wires will go to it, also.
It's been brought to my attention I may be an idiot and have worked on these trucks right up to the point where this board exists and not the years prior. You very well may not have this board. You really can't miss it if you do. Sorry if I sent you on a snipe hunt... It's been on every truck I can remember working on. 😕

Edit: I just went out and looked. My 2000 Silverado has the board and the 2000 C2500 doesn't have it, further confirming the snipe hunt.

But hey, you now know the wiring is good back there, having crawled over every inch of it. My apologies... 😬

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did not find a board but I did find a plug that was tied into the tail lights and the turn signals. I also found a ground you were talking about. Everything looked good and the connections did not look corroded. Also the pigtail for the truck it was tied in there as well seen no broken wires or bare spots.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Mark,
Your more recent post says your blinker is going fast. Have you verified your bulbs aren't blown and are the right ones?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a 1995 Chevy Silverado two door 2 Wheel Dr. with a 5.7 L V-8. I am having problems with my tail lights and brake light staying on together. Brake lights will not work at all until I turn on running lights or headlights then brake lights and tail lights are illuminated together. Weird thing is that my third brake light on the cab still works just like it should. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
There are other threads on here about this exact same issue, some from not too awful long ago. Do a Search. It would seem that the culprit would likely be either the main light switch ("headlight switch") or the brake light switch down by the pedal. I don't recall what the answers were on the past threads. I wasn't smart enough to save any links.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts