GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 GMC Yukon Denali
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my Truck is really breaking my heart. I have a message on the dash saying to service stability system... service break system and to service traction control. Is this an issue that you e dealt with? Once repaired is it going to be good from then on? Is it even worth repairing?? The vehicle wouldn’t stop and I had my family in The vehicle with me.

·
Registered
13,024 Posts
We are all familiar with getting codes when the problem applies to the engine.
However, the other vehicle systems generate codes as well.
Morgan, is it possible to get the truck to a code reader; or, get a reader to the truck?
Knowing the codes will help solve the problem and eliminate guessing.

2 of those message (traction control and stability control) can be caused by a bad brake light switch.
But the 3rd msg (service brake system) is not caused by the brake light switch.
I would guess it's something common to all three.

Morgan, just go out and try it, sometimes these message disappear after the truck gets turned off.

·
Registered
2004 GMC Yukon Denali
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the truck has been turned off. And now they’re permanently displayed. I would take it to get read for diagnostics but my breaks aren’t working. It seems the line has burst or maybe it’s rotted. I’m not too sure. My truck just goes to a slow roll. It won’t stop.

We are all familiar with getting codes when the problem applies to the engine.
However, the other vehicle systems generate codes as well.
Morgan, is it possible to get the truck to a code reader; or, get a reader to the truck?
Knowing the codes will help solve the problem and eliminate guessing.

2 of those message (traction control and stability control) can be caused by a bad brake light switch.
But the 3rd msg (service brake system) is not caused by the brake light switch.
I would guess it's something common to all three.

Morgan, just go out and try it, sometimes these message disappear after the truck gets turned off.

·
Registered
13,024 Posts
Yes the truck has been turned off. And now they’re permanently displayed. I would take it to get read for diagnostics but my breaks aren’t working. It seems the line has burst or maybe it’s rotted. I’m not too sure. My truck just goes to a slow roll. It won’t stop.
Are you saying the is a puddle of brake fluid under the truck? "Well there's your problem", get the broken line replaced and after bleeding it should be fine,

·
Registered
2004 GMC Yukon Denali
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stability and the traction control too??
Are you saying the is a puddle of brake fluid under the truck? "Well there's your problem", get the broken line replaced and after bleeding it should be fine,

·
Registered
13,024 Posts
I don't know for sure.

If all 3 messages displayed for the 1st time at the same time, then yes a line repair should make everything happy

·
Registered
112 Posts
When you get messages telling you to service ABS, TC and Stability Control that means the failure is common to all 3 subsystems. In the case of a puddle of brake fluid the base brake system is common to all 3 subsystems. ABS modulates brake pressure at each wheel, Traction Control modulates the brake pressure at the drive wheels and Stability Control selects which brake to apply to change the yaw of the vehicle to match where the steering wheel is pointing. If the brake lines can't hold any pressure then the brakes don't work and none of those systems that depend on the brakes will work.

The first thing to do is to repair the leaking brake lines which may mean all of them need to be replaced based on how old the vehicle is and how rusty things may be. Also brake hoses have been known to leak so those should be checked as well. Since your vehicle is a 2004 it more than likely has rotted out hard brake lines running along the frame and maybe running up to the master cylinder. The ones on my 2003 Tahoe with Stability Control rotted out and had to be replaced 6 years ago at about 90K miles. GM does make kits with properly bent hard lines so it is easier to replace the lines than it used to be when all repairs had to be custom bent at the shop doing the work.

Bill

·
Registered
743 Posts
First check how much fluid is in the master cylinder reservoir.
Rotted out break lines is a common problem on rust belt trucks. A truck that has been driven on the salt soaked freeways will have this problem (and others). GM has started to coat these lines, and they last longer, but not long enough.
Also, hoses go bad too, from age, use, mileage and winter.
Being a rust belt citizen myself have been through this many times and feel for yah, and have had this happen to me too (more than once). Our friends down south don't know what the're missing.
Get some safety glasses and crawl under your truck; Inspect for wet spots and crusty lines. Also inspect the hoses, calipers and cylinders for leaking.
I agree too the check the codes.
Afterwards, follow proper bleed procedure and you may (or not) need a scan tool. Maybe my friends can weigh in on that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts