GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to replace my brake booster and master cylinder on my Suburban, and I'm not sure how the brake rod hooks up to the brake pedal. It seems like it's riveted or something onto the pedal, and I'm not sure how it comes off. It also seems like the rod coming out of the brake booster has threads so the end of the rod has to be unscrewed off the rod. Any idea how I'm supposed to get this thing apart?

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No idea? I plan on starting to pull the old master cylinder and brake booster today and I need to get them out, and I can't without disengaging that brake pedal rod.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
If they didn't change them from '88 to '91 then it's just a pin with a spring clip holding the rod to the brake pedal Christopher. The pin does look like a rivit on the one end, but the other end has a groove cut around the end of the pin & a spring clip slides in the groove & holds it.

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I doubt they changed something like that during that time span. I'll take the lower dash apart to get a better view and hopefully I can get this done. Then I can start driving the burb again after a long year! :)

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the clip removed from the pin, but can't get the pin to budge any. I've even gone so far as to whack it with a 4 pound hammer and it hasn't moved an iota. Anyone have any details as to what direction the pin needs to move, or if there's any trick to removing the pin? This is getting very frustrating for something that should be pretty darn easy.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Sorry I didnt see this post sooner Christopher, not that I've got any better answer than what you've already done.
Have you tried getting a screwdriver tip or chisel tip between the head of the pin and the side and using some side leverage? Maybe this will help loosen it up.
The pin should just normally slide right out once the clip is removed.
Is there a chance the pin could have gotten bent or the end mushroomed at some time?
If I remembering correctly where this pin is at its a pain to get at and the options of cutting it out are almost nonexistant.

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know the pin should just slide on out, but it's sure not doing that. After some prying with a screwdriver, we did get it to move maybe 1/16", but that was as far as it would go. The end does seem to flare out, but doesn't show signs of mushrooming. Its looking like I might have to invesigate pulling part of the dash out and unbolting the entire brake pedal or something because you are right, there's no hope of getting a cutting implement in there.

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there a way to temporarily "lock out" the vacuum booster so I just have manual brakes? I'd like to make sure it's the booster before I go through the apparently living hell to replace this booster.

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I decided to give pulling the brake rod another shot today and discovered the secret of how to pull it. It was so simple, and I should have seen the solution sooner. My uncle kept saying that it seemed like the pin had splines on it. Today it hit me; the pin doesn't move. You simply pull 1 easily accessible 14mm bolt and nut, and the bracket that both serves to activate the brake switch and cover the end of the pin. Once the bracket comes off, the brake rod falls right off. Easy cheesy.

So, I then proceeded to pull the brake booster. I had to use a shallow 15mm 3/8 drive socket and a 3/8 ratchet to pull the 6 nuts on the firewall. They were still covered in the tar from the factory, so my vacuum booster has NEVER been replaced in the 20 years the truck's existed. Even if it still works, it's certainly a good idea that I replace it anyway. So, off it comes, and off the master cylinder comes with a pair of 15mm bolts that I've undone a dozen times or so by now. All's fine so far. I prepare the new booster and stab it in the hole. Back to the pain of reinstalling the 15mm nuts between the firewall and booster. Now, to just crawl under the dash and hook the brake rod back up to the pedal.... D'OH!!!

Turns out when I stabbed the booster into the firewall, the brake rod went on the other side of the pedal than it should have. So, I pulled the screw end off the brake rod and tried to screw it back on on the right side. I couldn't seem to get the rod started. After fighting with it for 15 minutes or so, it was getting dark, so I decided to pack it up and get back on the install tommorow. Hopefully I don't have to pull the booster again to get the brake rod back on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts