GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i step on the brakes, i noticed that the pedal is getting lower and lower to the floor. what is causing this problem? any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Lets see,
air in the lines,
Brake pads are wearing out,
You don’t say what you are driving, age, mileage, without a little more info it is hard to do anything but guess.

Could you be a little more specific.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Welcome!

Pedal fade is usually rears but inspect front and rear. Do a fluid bleed. Should bring pedal right back up. Git 'R' Done!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this post is for '96 Suburban 5.7.

·
Registered
8 Posts
do you mean as you step on the pedal it continues to slowly go to the floor? If so that would indicate a leaky wheel cylinder(s) or master cylinder. Check rear wheels first for any signs of brake fluid leaking out of wheel cylinders if none replace master cylinder.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Contaminated brake fluid

If the fluid in the master cylinder looks brown, you may have contaminated brake fluid. I had this happen on a tow vehicle many years ago. On a downgrade the water in the lines boiled and the pedal went to the floor. After letting it cool off, the pedal felt fine.
Service need: Brake fluid becomes oxidized and contaminated over time and use. Heat and moisture cause corrosion on parts and brake fluid failure. This causes a spongy brake pedal and shows up in discolored brake fluid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts