GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so a couple weeks ago, my 2000 K2500 7.4 was stolen and recovered about a week later. Obviously the ignition cylinder was pretty hoopajooped so I got a replacement. Once I got the new one in and started it to make sure, I pulled out the key and I noticed the ignition will still turn and start the motor. The inside of the ignition housing looks fine so i decided to buy a new lock cylinder from a different parts store thinking that maybe the littl bar doesn't detract enough to keep the cylinder from turning. Unfortunately, same thing with the 2nd new cylinder. Could the inside of my cylinder housing be screwed up and I just can't see it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hope Im just missing something very obvious. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, I noticed with both of the new cylinders, there is a little bit of in/out play in the cylinders. If i push it in and try to turn the engine over without the key, that is the only time it won't turn.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would have to say that there is something wrong with the Steering column where the cylinder is inserted. While you have the housing and key in your hand, rotate the key within the cylinder and see what part(s) move on the outside. Then, take a close look inside the column and make sure there is a location inside there that matches. I would imagine there is a sort of stop bar or similar object that wouldn't allow the cylinder to turn unless it has that key. You'll have to look very close to notice it, but give your brain a few minutes to process how those two object work together, and you might identify something wrong... Two bad cylinders aren't likely, but parts are generally not made like they used to be.

My guess is in order for the thief to rotate that cylinder, he/she used a great amount of force and snapped a small tab in there. I would also look around for a long crack on the column if it doesn't have a outer plastic shell blocking view of an inner structural housing. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts