GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in 2H there is no smell, but in Auto and 4x4 I can smell a burning rubber smell.
any ideas?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Have you narrowed down where its coming from? Under hood, under dash so on?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Check yer fluid levels.

What is the fluid level in the tranny? Fluid might be coming from the AT vent tube. Same with diff. btw you should not be using the 4x4 on dry pavement for extended periods.

Technicolor Chevrolet? See this 1939 cartoon "Princess and the Pauper" Where the hero's magic carpet turns into a Chevrolet. Filmed in Technicolor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the fluid level in the tranny? Fluid might be coming from the AT vent tube. Same with diff. btw you should not be using the 4x4 on dry pavement.
level is good. no visable leaks. I only use the 4x4 or auto on snow covered roads and only if the weather is bad. I know something is wrong so I keep the use of the 4x4 or auto to a minimum. Smells more like a rubber seal or something, but why would a seal smell only in 4x4?. The front axles still move in 2H don't they?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
They used to use a thermal actuator on earlier models of the GM transfer case. I wonder if you have a short circuit? Is it a burnt rubber smell or maybe an 'electrical' odor?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They used to use a thermal actuator on earlier models of the GM transfer case. I wonder if you have a short circuit? Is it a burnt rubber smell or maybe an 'electrical' odor?
Really smells like burnt rubber, the smell of a burnout. The 4x4 works well though. Doesn't like tight turning, like 3 point turns in the drivewayfeels like it's binding up.

·
1,554 Posts
Technically, the smell can't be coming from the "transaxel area", since there is no transaxle installed on your truck (transaxle is a term for the combination transmission and axle that is present on front wheel drive cars and the old VW's that had the engine in the rear). What part are you referring to when you say "transaxle": the front diff or the transmission or the transfer case?

My first thought on this is that you've had a leak from the transfer case and the transfer case is now running dry. The smell you are smelling might be the autotrac clutches burning away.

If you've recently changed t-case fluid, did you use Dex III or did you use the blue AT-2 fluid? Autotrak t-cases don't particularly like DexIII

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Technically, the smell can't be coming from the "transaxel area", since there is no transaxle installed on your truck (transaxle is a term for the combination transmission and axle that is present on front wheel drive cars and the old VW's that had the engine in the rear). What part are you referring to when you say "transaxle": the front diff or the transmission or the transfer case?

My first thought on this is that you've had a leak from the transfer case and the transfer case is now running dry. The smell you are smelling might be the autotrac clutches burning away.

If you've recently changed t-case fluid, did you use Dex III or did you use the blue AT-2 fluid? Autotrak t-cases don't particularly like DexIII
Sorry... transfer case. I'll take a look.

·
Registered
8 Posts
BillH - what ended up being the problem? I think I'm having similar issues with my 05 Colorado.

Was it differential? See my forum thread "differential issues?" for my situation. Any insight would be helpful!

Thanks,
Jacodal

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
plastic used in the ujoints was where the smell came from. replaced and had no morre smell.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Huh...I just talked to the dealership...said it drives fine, but I'm still concerned. Thanks for the reply. Guess I'll have to wait til it breaks to find out what's wrong...then it'll be very expensive!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts