GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1994 gmc k1500 is rusting out at the rear cab support on the drivers side , you can see it from the bottom, it was an old government truck before I purchased it at auction, it sit a lot. Is this an expensive fix, you can tell the cab lines are about an inch lower than the bed, do they make aftermarket cab supports I can get someone to weld in , thanks for the help.

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,787 Posts
Just clarifying, it’s the cab anchor bolt pads and not just the outside corners, right?

Here’s a link to the corners. :

Otherwise, LMC truck may have exactly what you’re looking for.

I‘m no body man so I can’t say how challenging this will be. I’m a novice welder with only an inexpensive Harbor Freight wire feed welder.

@kennythewelder is a genius and can advise about as good as anyone.

Reactions: kennythewelder

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
A picture is worth 1000 words. If your talking about the bolt that runs through the frame and bolts the cab down, that may be part of the floor pan, but I'm not sure. It could also be a stand off type of clamp. Ether way, all of the rust needs to be removed and replaced with new metal. Anything else just won't last. Welding vehicle sheet metal takes a special skill set, and know how. Its very easy to mess up a job by not welding it correctly. I mean, hell, you can Jack up the cab and shove a 2x4 or a 4x4 in there just to hold things, but that's not a repair. A proper repair takes time and work. It is called body work for a reason. 95% work and 5% painting. Once the rust is removed, the surrounding area should be treated with a rust inhibitor. Ospho is the best I have ever used, but there are others out there that are effective. You can wait to do this step after the new metal is welded in. Then prime and paint.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, it is the cab mount pads on the bottom of the cab, a bolt runs through the middle, bolting the cab to the frame, trying to get an idea of cost of fixing it, replacing the cab mount and welding it in, I just wanted to know if anyone else had a similar experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts