GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm new to chevys, new to California and this is my first rebuild.
I got a 95 chevy k1500 Silverado 5.7L V8 350 with TBI, taking old motor out, still runs but want a bit more power. Am I able to put vortec heads from a 96 on my 95 block? Or just swap out with the 96 and be able to pass the stupid Cali smog BS? If so, how much other stuff will need switched out? Also consolidating removing the 4L60E and going with the 4L80E if anyone has any input on that... I'm on a semi limited budget but got around 5 grand saved up towards this so far. Hoping to get tranni (no 3rd or 4th) and engine figured out without going to far over that. Any input would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
98 gmc k1500 5.7
544 Posts
you know the 350 is one of the best engines gm ever made, because of emissions in calif , you might wanna upgrade your engine ,instead of the headaches your thinking of doing , you would have to change out or reflash if possible your computer as your changing everything in the system of a computer controlled engine and transmission

·
Registered
16,019 Posts
I'd stay with the fuel delivery of the '95, as Brain says, going to vertec heads will cause a lot of OBD2 headaches, and on top of that, I don't think they fit anyway.
You would probably be better served with an after market intake made for OBD.
And the transmission, what's your reasons for the 4L80 swap, just more strength?
If so, upgrading your 'L60 is probably the better move

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Here's a thread on swapping a Vortec into a TBI truck. It's more involved than one would think...

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
California does not like Carbs... they probably will not be C.A.R.B compliant. lol. But I dont really know... come checkout www.gmt400.com ..... theres a few people who have done the swap but I dont think they are in California. I know its a huge PITA to get the electronic transmission to completley function correctly with a carb. there are people who have completed engine swaps in California but there are very strick regulations and you need to see a C.A.R.B referee whatever the hell that is...

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
another thing I remember is people who did the swap had to stick with truck engines with trucks and car engines with cars. the regulations might be 95 and earlier trucks with obd1 ports.

OR you could buy a Carb Approved crate engine that's like $10 000! not kidding!

E-Rod california approved crate engine eligible for 95 and earlier.... these are very advanced engines that sure as hell dont have a carb.... direct fuel injection....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts