GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2002 Tahoe with 5.3 ltr, whipple supercharged. I would like to install performance camshaft instead of the stock one. I'm looking for camshaft only replacement without going into complicated stuff! rocker arms can be considered if I have to! Anyone can help please? Keep up the good work guys, thank you all :great:

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
When dealing with a Supercharged engine changing the camshaft can bring a lot of unwanted issues. Before searching to hard I'd get a hold of Whipple industries and get their recomendation on a new camshaft.
This recomendation comes from the experience of having a Supercharged 7.4 that I changed the camshaft on. A few degrees of difference on the cam lobes made the vehicle almost undriveable on the street. I eventually went back to a stock cam because of all the problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When dealing with a Supercharged engine changing the camshaft can bring a lot of unwanted issues. Before searching to hard I'd get a hold of Whipple industries and get their recomendation on a new camshaft.
This recomendation comes from the experience of having a Supercharged 7.4 that I changed the camshaft on. A few degrees of difference on the cam lobes made the vehicle almost undriveable on the street. I eventually went back to a stock cam because of all the problems.
Thanks for sharing your experience. In fact, I did exactly what you are suggesting and contacted whipple for advise, I'm hoping to recieve thier response soon.By the way, could explain more in what do you mean by undrivable? and did you just changed the camshaft or did you also changed lifter, rockerarmes, springs...etc?

·
Registered
21 Posts
in many cases, cams for supercharged engines are very similar to stock cams. And on some of the mustangs ive built and worked on, stock cams made the best power and maintained drivability better than custom grinds. the need to hold the valves open longer or more isn't as necessary when you are forcing all that air in there.
just my .02..

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
I changed the cam, rockers, push rods, springs, lifters, timing chain/gears, and valves.
The engine ran terrific if you were running WOT, in the lower RPM ranges it coughed, sputtered, fouled plugs, and was generally doggy.
Like slimyavocado posted a Forced Induction engine really doesnt need a lot of cam lift and duration, it'll get all the combustable mixture it can handle forced into the cylinders by the Supercharger.
If your building your engine to run most of the time in the high RPM ranges a new cam may work for you, but it'll be hard on the engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I changed the cam, rockers, push rods, springs, lifters, timing chain/gears, and valves.
The engine ran terrific if you were running WOT, in the lower RPM ranges it coughed, sputtered, fouled plugs, and was generally doggy.
Like slimyavocado posted a Forced Induction engine really doesnt need a lot of cam lift and duration, it'll get all the combustable mixture it can handle forced into the cylinders by the Supercharger.
If your building your engine to run most of the time in the high RPM ranges a new cam may work for you, but it'll be hard on the engine.
Whipple did not recommend cam change at all. And you experince confirms it. I want to squize more power out of engine, I have headers, stock catback but a performance muffler, K&N reaplcement air filter. I'm getting the MSD coils pack. I was looking at complete cool air induction kit and I wonder which kit would work best with a supercharged engine! I'm also thinking of changing bulley size. I have the stock Whipple size at around 6psi, what is tha safest boost I can go up to? and where can I find replacement bulley? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
109 Posts
jegs or summit will have under drive pulleys. I beleave that the highest psi u can run is between 7 and 10 psi. But i am not sure on that..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts