GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to purchase a truck that could haul my jeep wrangler on a flat bed trailer. Im contemplating on purchasing a 1991 gmc k2500 w/ a 5.7 liter because it fits my price range. I'm having a dificulty finding specifications for that particular truck. Does anyone have any information that may help me decide whether or not this truck can do the job. Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
If I remember correctly the towing capacity for that truck is around 7k. A loaded Wrangler and trailer come in around 4500. That combination starts and pulls great, you may want trailer brakes (if you dont already have them).
A friend of mine has the exact same rig and has no problem pulling his 25' trailer loaded with a 94 Wrangler, two quads, camping gear, two adults, and two children.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a 94 Suburban 1500 4WD with the 350TBI motor. Would regularly tow a AWD Astro V8 Conversion with a double axle car trailer that weighed in at 2500 lb. Astro was 4250lb. Never any problems. Just don't tow in OD with those years. Still got 8-10mpg.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1991 k2500

Thanks for the advice. The truck i was looking at had a new engine in it and the seller was letting it go for $2500. Unfortunately someone pulled the trigger on it before i could even look at it. Hopefully ill find something else.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Engine V8 5.7 Liter
Horsepower 190 @ 4000 RPM
Torque 300 @ 2400 RPM
Transmission Automatic
Drivetrain 4WD
Gas Mileage -
Bore x Stroke 4.00 x 3.48
Compression Ratio 9.3
Fuel Type Gas
Fuel Induction Electronic Fuel Induction
Valve Train Overhead Valve
Valves Per Cylinder 2
Total Number Valves 16
Transfer Case -

Dimensions & Capacity Details
Fuel Capacity 34.0
Wheel Base 131.5 inches
Overall Length 212.6 inches
Width 76.8 inches
Height 73.0 inches
Curb Weight 4002 lbs.
Tires / Wheel Size LT225/75R16
Rear Tires / Wheel Size -
Turning Radius 44.6
Axle Ratio 3.42
Ground Clearance 7.8
GVWR 7200
Maximum Towing 9500
Payload Base Capacity 2694
Head Room: Front 40.0 inches
Head Room: Rear -
Leg Room: Front 41.7 inches
Leg Room: Rear -
Shoulder Rm: Front 66.0 inches
Shoulder Rm: Rear -
EPA Passenger -
EPA Trunk or Cargo -
EPA Total Interior -
Truck Bed Volume -

thoes are the specs for anyone wondering.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
We haul around a 4 horse stock trailer all the time with our 94 Burb with a 5.7 L TBI.

Never had a problem, horses weight in around 1,000 lbs each or more and the trailer is probably around 2500 lbs.

As mentioned earlier, don’t tow in overdrive.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Great deals on used Suburbans-

There are lots of great deals on used Suburbans out there.I paid $2950 2 weeks ago for my 1998 2wd 1500.Granted it has 195,000 miles on it, but the trans was rebuilt 1 year ago and the AC and other stuff replaced 2 years ago.Cosmetically it is in great shape.When our finances improve I'll buy a new Goodwrench motor($2240+shipping) and put it in.
The deals will get even better if we have one hurricane in the gulf this year(hope we don't,I live 3 miles W of New Orleans). Gasoline will spike,and big vehicles,will drop in resale.
Shame really-the Suburbans are so useful-like having a very comfortable long bed pickup with the worlds best camper top.Great evacuation vehicle also(which is why we have it-2 greyhounds,4 cats,3 adults-we need a big vehicle to get out of town).We only plan to drive it maybe 5000 miles a year,so the gas-350-400 gallons won't be too bad.

Keep looking,you will find an even better one for $3000 or so.They are the best used car bargains out there now.
Luck,
Charlie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i found another 91 k2500 for $3200

I hope to negotiate the price down a little but same deal. He's adverstising rebuilt motor,5 speed tranny and clutch. Based on the specs, looks like this truck will do the job w/o having to pull a loan for a diesel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts