GM Truck Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Yeah, I've heard that it can be pretty nasty (rainy) up there this time of year. I lived in Seattle for 12 years, I can do without that.

I've been in Dallas/Fort Worth Texas for over 6 years now. It's so dry here that there are wildfires all over the place.

·
1,457 Posts
It’s difficult to find a good place to live it’s to cold, or it’s wet, or it’s to hot

I wish I lived in the USA, you can shoos what kind of weather you like
Just move to the correct place
:wink:

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
yeah, I looked up on Google Maps. The distance between Seattle, WA (Where I grew up) and Dallas, TX (Where I live now) is 2200 miles by road (about 1700 by air).

That's like driving from Belguim to Eastern Urkaine (or even into Russia), or perhaps going down near the Turkey/Syria border.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Got to agree with Richard Traugott about the tires and the shoes. Working construction I end up in some God auful places you wouldn't want to be in anything but a tank, hence the Burbs.
The best tire I have used on the older 2 wheel drive Burb is a set of Workhorses TXR's They have a real work lug to them for mud and snow. I haven't gotten stuck with them yet in anything Maine has to offer. But they are an off brand I think sold by VIP here in Maine. Resonable for a 235/15 I think I paid $60 each a few years ago for those. I have to buy 4 more for the 94 Burb we have now, those all season tires ain't worth a sh*t in snow.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Park Rangers in Death Valley NP all drove trucks with BFG All-Terrain T/As and the Rangers down here in Anza-Borrego Desert SP drive on Goodyear Wrangler AT/Ss (which is what I've got on my 'Burban). I'd go with whichever one I could get the best deal on.

Steve, I bought my "Burban used from a dealer in Irving TX, through eBay. I looked for quite a while until I found the one that I wanted, and the biggest selection was in Texas!

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
How bout that. They call it the Texas Cadilliac for a reasons. about 70% of the vehicles on the road down here are trucks or SUVs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well on my way down here, I stopped in the town of Newberg Oregon to visit some friends and there were more white Suburbans than I'd ever seen before, most of them pulling horse trailers.

I loved my Jeep, but the 'Burban is really growing on me. We were heading off to the desert last weekend and it handled like a dream on the twisting paved roads and was smooth and quiet (unlike the Jeep) on the off-road.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
I've been to Newberg, Oregon. Nice place up in the hills on the way to McMinnville.

·
Registered
20 Posts
And I didn't know about McMinnville until I drove through Newberg. Saw the sign for the Evergreen Aviation Museum and couldn't believe it: there was the Spruce Goose in all it's glory. Awesome museum, that. And we went back to McMinnville to the hotel for happy hour and some "Terminator Stout". My California friends polished off every bottle of it that I brought down (well, I helped some ;0)

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Ahh, the northwest with it's microbrews. Not a whole lot of options on tap down in the Lone Star state. Well, there is Lone Star, etc. Bring some over here if you're coming through.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
It's been about 4 years since I've had to purchase tires for my 1990 Suburban. It seems to me that tire prices are MUCH more expensive than they used to be.

I am looking for a good set that are rated for the SUV and that are good for towing a large trailer.

Anyone have any suggestions for what I might be looking for?
Thought I would resurrect an old post from 2 1/2 years ago. Everyone needs tires! This is also a good example of thread robbing. ;-)

·
Registered
18 Posts
wow, so what do you think about tire prices now?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would have to recamend the firestone destination A/T thay are a good long tread life tire that are good in the snow mud and they run down the highway really smooth I had a set of them with 80,000 miles on them and they still looked decent they are between 76.00 and 159.00 on the tirerack website

·
Registered
18 Posts
wow those prices are pretty good.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Goodyear Fortera with Silent Armor

I love these tires. Great ride and seem to be able to handle anything. They are a bit pricey though ($175/each a year ago). Might be a little cheaper now and I know some places that stock them occasionally do a 4 for the price of 3 deal. JMO. :glasses:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I put a set of Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza's on mine. Local shop wanted more than $200 each plus installation - I bought them from Tire Rack and then had them installed for $80. Like getting one tire for free.

They're the best all around tires I've had. Did lots of research. They're quiet, good traction in the wet and the snow, and didn't adversely impact my fuel milage.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I was going to say "Round ones", but I won't.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts